Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Pulling (and going) high...  (Read 475 times)

Offline lyagooshka

• Trad Bowhunter
Pulling (and going) high...
« on: September 10, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
Part one: I've been practicing with a new recurve and for some dumb reason, it keeps pulling high.  I cannot explain it for the life of me.  The string had a nock point on it when I got the bow.  I adjusted the brace height and I do fairly well with the windage, but I can't seem to bring my arrow down.  The one thing I did was to put my arrow above the nock point.  That seems to make it a little better, but it seems like it's a bit too high.  I could be wrong.  Ideas?

Part two: I hope to be up in a stand in a few weeks.  I don't get much practice from a stand, so I just want to make sure I don't have to do anything differently.  I wouldn't shoot beyond 20 yards under ideal circumstances.  Under normal hunting conditions, probably no more than 10.  The place I practice has a dip on their broadhead range that is about 12’, so it almost mimics a tree stand, but it’s still shooting from solid ground.  Again, ideas?

As always, thanks for the help.

Be well,

Alex

:help:
"I have known many meat eaters to be far more nonviolent than vegetarians." - Mahatma Gandhi

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pulling (and going) high...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
What is your nock height? Are you shooting split or 3 under?  Sometimes if the arrow is nocked too low, it will bounce off the shelf and impact too high.

Theoretically, if you bend at the waist and maintain the T shape of your arms and torso, you should be able to shoot from a stand without too much adjustment. Certainly something that takes some practice, though, and I wouldn't want my first shot from a stand to be at a deer. Even though I try to maintain a T, I still tend to hit a little high, so I hold a little low from a stand.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©