Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: string hitting forearm  (Read 847 times)

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
string hitting forearm
« on: September 25, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
I generally shoot with an arm guard. I recently started attending an archery class and none of the instructors wear them. The idea seems to be "if your form is correct, you don't need one".

I believe I have my bow arm set up correctly. The advice I heard is to bend your elbow. If the bow comes up toward your head your elbow is wrong. If the bow swings over toward your chest, you are good. After class, I took my light, 33# longbow to my short range and tried blank bale shooting without the arm guard. I was very careful to make sure my elbow was flexed slightly outward, but got snapped. A dozen arrows and a large goose egg later and I gave up.

Is it possible that guys with a large chest and short arms have things easier than guys like me with a skinny chest and long arms, or am I still doing something really wrong?
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: string hitting forearm
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
Personally I won't shoot without a arm guard. It really smarts when that string bites. I've had some pretty nasty hickeys from being bit!

Maybe it's a form flaw I'm not sure, but I feel the string hit my arm guard quite often.

I've heard the advise to bend the elbow out but disagree with it. I find I get the best arrow flight and consistently tight groups by trying to align the bones from my wrist through shoulder in a straight line.
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
Blade,

I feel that it is a combination of elbow position and bow hand position.  So I guess I agree with your instructor BUT!  Some folks with "Popeye" forearms or bow wrist stiffness problems or shoot a low brace height long bow (to name a few reasons) may have clearance problems.

I never recommend NOT wearing an arm guard but don't insist on it either.  I think it is kind of like wearing a motorcycle helmet.  You don't need it until you need it.

To me, I think it is an inexpensive protective device that is just insurance against PAIN.  There are those that HAVE had a good string strike and the resultant 3 or 4" blood blister and associated heavily watering eyes, and those that will.  PLUS, I kind of think it is part of the "costume" associated with archery.

PERSONAL DECISION!!

Arne

PS.  I also do NOT like the "bend your bow elbow" answer. FWIW
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
Thanks Arnie. Made me feel a little better.

I think if I can minimize/eliminate the string strike on the arm guard, that can't do anything but help my shooting.

The brace height is pretty low on that longbow, and my two longbows are the primary offenders, but I will continue to work on it.

The one thing I don't have is "Popeye forearms"   :)
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
I have to wear one shooting a longbow but not a recurve unless I have a jacket on. I can get away for awhile on the longbow but eventually it will bite me. Shot my freinds last nibht without one but didn't get bit. Just make sure your elbow points 45 degrees out,not straight down.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
I believe my elbow is oriented correctly. I tried to video my bow arm and grip, but couldn't get anything worthwhile off a tripod. If I can get my wife to stand just behind my bow arm, maybe she can catch a good shot and I'll post it for further critique. It seems like I am doing everything "by the book" as far as the rear of the grip running down the base of my thumb and my elbow turned out, but it's often difficult for me to "self diagnose".

I did raise the brace height a little higher than recommended and that helped some, but it seems as though I should be able to manage a cleaner shot.
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
I recently converted from wheel bows, and I didn't understand why traditional shooters wear arm guards, I was always told if you hit your arm its due to poor form.  I do wear a shooting sleeve when I wear a coat so the string doesn't hit my sleeve.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
Sure, I do too. I don't want to take a chance of my jacket sleeve grabbing the string with warm meat standing in front of me. It still seems to me I should be able to shoot in a T-shirt without striking my arm or arm guard.

At the archery class last night I asked one of the instructors to watch my bow arm closely and see if he could spot what I'm doing wrong.

He saw that right at release I was rolling my bow shoulder in just a bit. That was probably pushing my forearm in just enough to get a nice raspberry. After he pointed it out, I made a conscious effort to keep my shoulder down, not hunch up, and eliminate as much as possible any movement of the bow upon release. Worked great!

I put three arrows in touching each other and didn't hit my arm at all. I'll still wear an arm guard most of the time, but won't be wearing it out any more   :)
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
My 66" Mohawk was bad for slapping me. I tried, I really did, but ended up selling it. I felt like a quitter, so I won't do that again. No trouble (95% of the time) with my recurves, so I think of myself as a recurve guy. But I miss the longbow.

I'm wondering if a longbow with a more "recurve" type grip would help. Cut to center too.
Something about those "D" shape bows tough...
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
I moved my Wallace Royal longbows from 6.75 to 7" brace and I went from frequently brushing my arm to never touching my arm with the string.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
I did the same with the brace height on my lightweight 66" Mohawk. That turned it from a guaranteed arm slap to only an occasional one.

Really focusing on keeping my bow shoulder down and not letting it roll in seems to be the key for me. It also minimizes bow movement following release, so I guess form work is still my first priority.

You wouldn't think something as simple as a stick bow could be so complicated, would you?   :)
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©