Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Back tension  (Read 1226 times)

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
Back tension
« on: October 01, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
Is it possible to get proper back tension by shooting off the tip of your fingers rather than using a hook? I have been experimenting with using a hook and it is a lot easier to get better back tension. My release is not as smooth as it was shooting off my finger tips. Do I need to give the deep hook time to develop a smooth release?
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back tension
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »
Yes, it allows a more relaxed drawing hand.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
It is possible to get proper back tension shooting off the tips of your fingers.  Rick Welch recommends that method.  Evidently it was the method of choice during the 1800's; at least it is recommended in Horace Ford's book from that period of time, and I assume they needed back tension back then as much as we need it now.

I have tried both fingertips and deep hook, and prefer a deep hook myself.  But I do believe it may be possible to get a cleaner release from the fingertips.  People who complain how hard it is to get a clean release when shooting a light bow might want to try shooting off their fingertips, if the bow is light enough that they can hold the string on their fingertips and still keep a relaxed drawing hand.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
I'm starting to like the deep hook. Shooting today I really concentrated on just letting my release happen. Now I need to get it to where it's second nature without much thought. The releases were hard and not soft. I'm going to give it some time till I determine which way I want to grip the string. Thanks guys.
"River from above"

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 04:55:00 AM »
When you are at anchor is you hand tense or are you maintaining a hook on the string ? If you are getting tension in your hand try a deeper hook, or whatever allows you to have the least tension in the hand and the back of your hand is flat.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 05:22:00 AM »
My hand was real tense before I started the deep hook. It's getting better. I will try a deeper hook and see if I can get less tension and a flatter back of my hand. So is the key to a better release getting the least hand tension possible and the back of the hand flat?
"River from above"

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
String hand, wrist, forearm and even the biceps should be as relaxed as possible.  This will take practice and repetition but is well worth it to establish back tension  AND to get a nice smooth sharp release.  Have you checked out my videos on You Tube for suggestions?   http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMoebow1

Take a look at "Release tips," "rubber band" and see if you can get some ideas.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
Yes you should try to minimize the tension in the hands, shoulders and as Arne says, the biceps. If you are using your back muscles correctly, you will be able to remain tension free in your arms.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
Thanks moebow I will check them out. I do have to much tension in my bicep,wrist and forearm.
"River from above"

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
Great videos moebow. I subscribed to your channel. Many thanks.
"River from above"

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
Hope they help.  If you have questions, let me know.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
Maybe I should have started a new thread, but my issue involves improving my back tension:

Following a significant lay-off in the wake of a non-archery related shoulder injury, I am using a bum rotator cuff as an opportunity to rebuild, and possibly improve, my form. I am making a concerted effort to improve the use of my back muscles during the draw. As a result, I find that I seem to overdraw and then settle-in to my anchor. At least, I think it is an overdraw...

The greater concentration on back tension seems to, in effect, add another inch, (seriously), of draw on my Hillbow.  Lengthening my draw isn't something I'm particularly concerned about, but I sure don't want to slam the back of a broadhead into the back of my bow in the middle of a shot!

I also seem to be moving away from a Hill-style swing draw and moving towards a set-arm draw in an effort to improve the use of my back muscles. Am I on the right track with this? (I don't mind building longer arrows.) Or, am I making a bad situation worse by trying to work around/through what is probably a permanent injury?

I would appreciate any advice.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
Owl,

The swing draw is difficult to LEARN BT with but can be used after learning.  What you don't want to do while using the BT technique is to draw past your anchor references and then "sink" forward to them. Doing that will loose your BT and you will struggle to regain it without starting over.

BT is often misunderstood (IMO) as trying to flex certain muscles when it really is moving a bone -- the scapula (shoulder).  If you are dealing with a shoulder injury, follow Doctor's advice (or your physical therapist) FIRST.  In the mean time, take a look at the "rubber band" video I did that shows the shoulder movement and see if that helps.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
Thank you again, moebow. I will study your videos.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
My key to back tension is focusing on pulling with my elbow a relaxing the rest.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
After 3 weeks of shooting I am getting so much better back tension now that I am using a deep hook. My groups are much more consistent. I can do a swing draw and still get good back tension. It's just a little slower than before.
I studied every one of your videos Moebow and got some real good stuff out of them. Many thanks....David
"River from above"

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
The deep hook was used by HH...and it allows you to 'control' the shot better IMO....keeps the back of the hand straight and relaxed instead of curved and under tension...and it makes the bow feel 10 pounds lighter...   :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
I guess I need to ask, how deep is a "deep hook"? I am engaging the bowstring at the first "crease" back from the tip of my fingers. ("distal joint"?) Is that deep enough for a deep hook? Or, am I to engage the bowstring somwhere between the first and second "crease"? I actually tried that, without much success. It played havoc with my anchor. I felt like it pushed the bowstring too far from my face and gave me a "sticky", awkward release. I'll stick with it, though, if that is what a deep hook demands.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
Owlmagnet,
As I understand it (and shoot), string in (or close to) the first "crease", or joint, is right. The deep hook part is that your fingertips, forward of the string, are bent back toward your face. Not all the way back parallel to the back of your hand, but curled back in somewhere past 90 degrees to the back of your hand.

Moebow offered a better description on this in another deep hook thread on this board.

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
Thanks, Joe. I think I'm doing it the way you described it. (Whew, that's a relief!) I am confident that my fingertips are close to 90 degrees from the back of my hand--which is why a "deeper" hook, (bowstring well past the first crease), was beating me silly....

I have also found that tucking my thumb over my "pinky", helps me maintain the "hook" and promotes a flatter and more relaxed back of the string hand.

I must say that Moebow's videos are very well done and I found them to be very useful. They have helped me identify a couple of areas that definitely need work!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©