Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Improving my shot?  (Read 560 times)

Offline Fleatrap1

• Trad Bowhunter
Improving my shot?
« on: October 08, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
My shooting is fairly consistent out to 15 yards.  Sometimes I hurry and my form is sloppy but when I remind myself to slow down things tighten up.  Past 15 yards I need quite a bit of improvement.  Question: I would guess to get better at 15+ yards I need to shoot at 15+ yards OR should I continue to work and improve at a closer range until I am more consistent and less prone to sloppy form and such?? Any Thoughts or advice would be great!  #1 thing I do is not make it too stressful so I still enjoy shooting, however one always wants to improve.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Improving my shot?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Heck, I generally shoot better at longer ranges, I think cause I have to concentrate more. Getting better at shorter ranges though, you sure have to shoot them all to get better at them, if you have a place you can go roving and just shoot at random things, a flower, or a hole in a bush, or a stick etc, your shooting will improve I'm sure at all ranges.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Fleatrap1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
old_goat I seem to do pretty good when I go out to my in-laws in shoot in the woods and pasture.  The 20-30 yard shots don't seem so bad.  I guess because the stumps don't have targets painted on them!! Get me to a target and things get tougher....guess it may be a mental game I play with myself, thanks

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Form work is a short range proposition...really short, like 3-4 yards. The reason for that is you are NOT working on accuracy, only form. Will it help your accuracy, generally yes because it will improve your consistency.

I like to work on accuracy by shooting 25-30 yards. This makes 15 yard shots look like a slam dunk. Like O-G mentioned, I seem to shoot better at a distance do to better concentration. The key is to move that concentration forward with you.

For hunting accuracy though, I think it's best to vary the distance. That's why many here will recommend stump shooting at targets of opportunity. It helps you learn the trajectory of your bow and to estimate distance. I still think 15 yards is a good distance for shots on game like whitetails. It has been my experience, though, that whitetails don't always cooperate, so I've had to shoot them at ranges from about 14 to 22 yards or so. I've passed on closer shots that just didn't feel right. I've also passed on shots at 30 yards that I am capable of making because I don't trust deer. Stationary targets aren't especially difficult at 30 yards, but deer can move a long ways in the time it takes an arrow to travel 30 yards. It's not worth the risk of injuring a game animal.

So practice at a variety of ranges, then set your own limits on what you think is an ethical shot and stick with it...as close as possible.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
Yeah...short form work and get good at 15...then skip 20 and go to 25 yards....that will force you to understand its ok to aim higher and you will lean the trajectory of 25 and then 20 will come more easily.....That's what I did long ago when having trouble going from 15 to 20....just for some reason decided to start shooting at 25 and it worked...might work for you also.

Study the forum clock thread featured near the top and incorporate a 'double anchor'.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©