Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Form, slump, arrow thoughts ???  (Read 557 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Form, slump, arrow thoughts ???
« on: October 09, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
I want to honor the genre of the thread- but this is a form/shooting question that I think may be affected by arrow issues.  So. . .

Been shooting for 25 years.  Many years I have been a really good shot, even top few in local shoots.  I periodically deal with TP that I have the tools to deal with provided by J Kidwell which has really helped.

I shoot a BW SA3- 53# at 30" (Draw about 30.5")

So this past year I went to a new string and was working through my bareshafting/tuning.  I was REALLY surprised to find out how far off it was- even though for a few years I thought I had it dialed in.  I wondered if my shooting changed or what??  String??  Anyway- I found out I was really under-spined.  Stu's calc. even shows me way under (like 20# under!).  I wanted to keep it economical with the current GT5575s I had (and i have shot for like 6 years!).  So I reduced FOC by 75gr off the front and shaved them down to just .5" within the shelf.  I got them to work.  

OK.  SO- now I have an arrow that is just 9 gr/# and a lot lighter than I have ever shot.  The FOC is 17% ish.  

HOWEVER- I am finding that my shooting sucks this fall.  I had a sore joint on a finger so I went to a little thicker glove- so the feel is a little different.  But I am having a terrible time being consistent.  I tend to have these "fliers" that seem to go 8-12" high. Hitting high is "way" too common. I sort of "feel" it in my form- like something released too soon/not good tension perhaps.  But honestly- in 25 years I have never had such inconsistent shooting.  I am not sure why.

I am going back to foundation/form basics for practice until I get this whipped.

BUT- Do you guys think that a marginally spined arrow can give a guy this many "fits."  I am really wondering if the arrows are causing me as many problems as form.  As such- it has me questioning my form and set-up which has me "thinking" too much and not able to really concentrate.

Thoughts. . . ???

Thanks much
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Form, slump, arrow thoughts ???
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
Since an occaisional high arrow plaques me I'll try to help. I've tried a couple of things. First I raised my nocking point a tad so when I bareshaft they will fly slightly nock high but give perfect flight when fletched. When I shoot my friend's bow with a lower nocking point the arrows seem to rise out of the bow and I shoot a little high with his bows everytime. He shoots low with mine.

Second thing I do is really try to maintain my high anchor because when I get sloppy I must drop it a hair which causes high arrows.

Third thing I did was to go to a longer arrow to reduce my point on distance. Since I only draw 27-27.5" I'm shooting 30.5" arrows. It reduced my point on from 45 to 35 yards shooting split. Don't even talk to me about shooting 3 under. Too old of a dog to change now.

I was really disgusted with my shooting this summer but all fall I've been shooting real well at 3-D shoots.

AS far as the spine, if the arrow isn't bareshafting nock left or waggling to the target when fletched it should be fine. I don't see that as your problem.
Good luck.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
Dan,

IF you question your form then you are most likely correct!!!!  Conventional wisdom here on the internet is that spine is soooooo important.  IT ISN'T!!!  With good form ( read that as consistent form) you can shoot accurately several spine groups up or down and still hit what you are shooting at.  Spine ONLY becomes important AFTER form -- NEVER before.

From your description, you have changed something in how you shoot.  To be sure, a string change or arrow change MIGHT affect your shot but then it is is fairly common that you start to try to adjust that by changing (consciously or unconsciously) your form.  It may be an unconscious change but change none the less.

Video can show what you may be doing.  Look at it critically and see if what you think you are doing is what you are really doing.

IMO marginally spined arrows are not your problem.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
Thanks much guys.  I was hoping you would jump in moebow.  Wish you were around to critique me.  Good grief though- I have been shooting trad for 25+ years and this past 2 years has watched a decrease in ability.  Wonder if it is just age/eyesight (53 this year) or something else.  Anxiety of some tough stuff in our lives may be part of it as well.

Thanks a lot.  Back to the basics.  May be strictly under 17 yds this year as the serious November season arrives here in KS.

Hope to get my confidence back. . .

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©