Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: How to get consistent / aim  (Read 511 times)

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
How to get consistent / aim
« on: October 22, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Ok so I'm not new to archery, and have shot a recurve for a while. I can't however seem to group consist. I pick a spot, rais my arm, draw, and release when my finger hits the corner of my mouth. I'm shooting split finger, and do not loom at my arrow as I have bad bad bad target panic if I do. Any advice on how to hold when I draw? Seems like when I do my shots spread out. I'm going to try and take a vid of me and see what you guys think.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to get consistent / aim
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
If your shots spread out when you hold, it is probably an indication that you are creeping: losing back tension as you hold.

It helps me to maintain back tension if I have a fixed reference that let's me know if I'm losing it.  For me, I draw until the string hits my eyebrow, and I feel the pressure against the bone underneath my eyebrow.  As long as I keep a constant pressure against that bone, I know I'm not creeping.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
I had a very similar experience when I went back to traditional.  I finally built a target butt in the yard so I could hang a bag high.  Got 10 feet from the bag, drew, made sure I hit my anchor, counted to at least three and released.  Did this over and over till my muscels knew what it felt like to hit anchor use back tension and make a good release.  I still start all my practice sessons with at least a dozen arrows this way.  The only deer I missed this year was when I did not follow my routine and I knew as soon as I released the arrow.  It took me a 1 1/2 of steady shooting to finally get it all right.  For me I keep teling myself its just like shooting the mechanical contraption bows.  Draw get a good anchor pick a spot aim and release.
T ZZZZ

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
Study the 'Form Clock' thread featured near the top...and incorporate a 'double anchor'.

This will require 'bail work' where no aiming is involved...only thinking about one thing at a time and doing the correct thing every time.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline PaulRoberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by bigb3303:
I pick a spot, rais my arm, draw, and release when my finger hits the corner of my mouth.
When do you aim? Pick your spot AFTER you come to full draw. And then follow through. Target panic and snap-shooting are common bedfellows. Also, are you comfortable at full draw? If not maybe you are over-bowed. Over-bowed does not mean you can't draw the bow. It can mean you are fighting (developing undue tension) to hold at full draw. I have to work up to my hunting weight bows and shoot a light bow a lot too, which can be enlightening.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©