Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Hill Style shooting  (Read 599 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Hill Style shooting
« on: October 27, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
I really should say John Shulz method. I think I have watched that video a hundred times and I love watching it. Well for the last couple of months I have been shooting this way mainly because I have been using my selfbows and this method seems to apply well here, but today I whipped out my Northern Mist Retro Classic longbow and it just clicked. All of my past shooting dilemas seem to be in the past. I've tried this in the past and the only difference I did this time is that as I raise the bow up I start pushing toward the target as I draw to anchor. To test myself I would kick a soccer ball and try to hit it on the move, and I think shooting this way works out great.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hill Style shooting
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
If you can, take some video of you executing the shot. I'd love to see it.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Ok will try but if you watch Gary Davis slow motion in MBB 2 this is exactly how I do it.

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
Way to go, LongStick! I think I've watched that video nearly as many times, but I still can't seem to arrive at the breakthrough you describe. You inspire me to keep trying, however!

Just this evening, I had to admit to myself that I am just not as consistent with my Hillbow as I am with nearly any recurve. I also admitted to myself that I don't care: I WANT to shoot my Tembo and leave the Widow on the rack. I WANT to "Hit'em like Howard Hill" more than I want to stack arrows with a fine recurve using more of a BEST-system approach just, well, because....

If I'm not nearly as confident with the longbow when it comes time to bowhunt, well, I won't hunt until I AM confident.  At some point, it doesn't have to make sense....

Thank you for your post. (I will be picking up MBB 2, based on your experience, in the near term!)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
Good for you Owl, my shooting has elevated ever since I stopped trying to shoot like an Olympic archer and more with a natural, fluid rhythm.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©