Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Let's talk sights  (Read 1114 times)

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Let's talk sights
« on: October 30, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
I posted on pow wow about sights on a hunting bow.  I'd like to hear from those here if they have used sights or not.  Has anyone used them temporarily to help with learning gaps or anything along those lines?
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's talk sights
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
I have never used them on a recurve or longbow either back before compounds or now but I did use them on the early compounds in the early 70s. I used a 4 pin sight and shot fingers and they worked very well. I had a "close" pin from point blank range to about 15 yards that I used for deer almost exclusively.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Ravenhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
I used one in the 70s with compound also , if I  were going to use one now for learning I would only use one pin , I like to keep it simple

Offline PaulRoberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 03:32:00 AM »
I started with sights back in the 80s on compounds. Prior, I shot trad sans sights. But compounds and all the gadgets became the rage and I was swept in. Must say, it's the quickest way to "shoot right outta the box". I actually had 5 pins on one bow until I began to realize I really only needed one. Then, I began to find I used that one mostly for reference and could "feel" the trajectory. I eventually went back to trad and ...almost... never looked back.

I say "almost" bc one time, during a slump, I resorted to sights. I used a stick-on dot (from an office store) on the riser of my self bow and it helped a great deal. Snapped me right back out of trouble by allowing me to solidify my bow arm, take the extra moment to pick a spot and hold there, before releasing. I think I just needed to separate the parts again. I took the sticky dot off after a day or so and was good to go. I'd definitely not shy away from such aids.

Offline treepasser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
I would like to set up a recurve with sights seeing
it was my first rig as a kid.

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
Funny you should post this.  I am in the middle of setting up a DAS with sights right now.  I have been trad only my whole life, so I don't have a lot of experience with wheels.  The reason for the sight was I wanted to be able to extend my effective range while hunting and to know that I can make a killing shot every time.

Well, it hasn't been that easy.  I first tried the SRF sight and didn't like it at all.  I would compare it to shooting through a scope with no crosshairs.  Did not work for me.  Right now I'm shooting it with a Tru Glo 3 pin from 3rivers.  It's working out ok, but you wouldn't believe how hard it is to try and hold a pin on target at 50 yds while at full draw.  However, I do believe it has it's merits as far as showing you your form flaws.  I have also had trouble my whole life fighting snap shooting.  The sight has made me hold longer, which for me has been a good thing.

Hope I helped some,  Cade.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
I started shooting recurves as a kid.  Been at it for 52 years now.  I've done it all and still do. I keep a recurve or two setup with sights all the time. Kilt lots of critters with them.

I prefer bare bow, but like to use sights, release aids, string loops, containment rests, plungers, magnetic rests, shooting off the shelf--the whole works.  I like archery (recurves and longbows)--never got caught-up with the "trad" label--whatever that is.

If you've got any form flaws, using a sight will be very telling.  Never really found them useful for learning gaps.  I figure that's what the arrow's for.  :^)  

The only advice I'd give is make sure you shoot a bow you can completely dominate.  If the bow stresses you in the least, it'll be frustrating holding everything together with the little extra time required to settle the pin and execute the shot. (But, I give that same advice to everyone, regardless of how or what they shoot.)

Go for it, have fun, and good luck to you.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Big Sneaky:
Funny you should post this.  I am in the middle of setting up a DAS with sights right now.  I have been trad only my whole life, so I don't have a lot of experience with wheels.  The reason for the sight was I wanted to be able to extend my effective range while hunting and to know that I can make a killing shot every time.

Well, it hasn't been that easy.  I first tried the SRF sight and didn't like it at all.  I would compare it to shooting through a scope with no crosshairs.  Did not work for me.  Right now I'm shooting it with a Tru Glo 3 pin from 3rivers.  It's working out ok, but you wouldn't believe how hard it is to try and hold a pin on target at 50 yds while at full draw.  However, I do believe it has it's merits as far as showing you your form flaws.  I have also had trouble my whole life fighting snap shooting.  The sight has made me hold longer, which for me has been a good thing.

Hope I helped some,  Cade.
I think you nailed it for me.  It's going to help me learn to hold a little longer.
Jeff

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jim Casto Jr:
I started shooting recurves as a kid.  Been at it for 52 years now.  I've done it all and still do. I keep a recurve or two setup with sights all the time. Kilt lots of critters with them.

I prefer bare bow, but like to use sights, release aids, string loops, containment rests, plungers, magnetic rests, shooting off the shelf--the whole works.  I like archery (recurves and longbows)--never got caught-up with the "trad" label--whatever that is.

If you've got any form flaws, using a sight will be very telling.  Never really found them useful for learning gaps.  I figure that's what the arrow's for.  :^)  

The only advice I'd give is make sure you shoot a bow you can completely dominate.  If the bow stresses you in the least, it'll be frustrating holding everything together with the little extra time required to settle the pin and execute the shot. (But, I give that same advice to everyone, regardless of how or what they shoot.)

Go for it, have fun, and good luck to you.
Jim,
Thanks for the advice.  The bow I was going to set up is not one I can dominate.  I do have one like that.  I will start looking at setting it up.
Jeff

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
Just wondering if any of you guys who have shot recurves with sights used a peep, or did you just line it up with the eye?
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
What single pin sight and how to attached to bow without inserts ?  Stick on single pin?
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
Back in the early 70's I shot with a sight on my Bear Kodiak.  It was a 3 pin slider and it worked very well.  I have been keeping my eyes open for a used Bear that has a sight.  Would be un to fool with one.
T ZZZZ

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »
I don't have sights on my bows, but have used them on other guy's bows (peep and pin on compound bows).  If you know the range to target, super accurate.  
     I don't know if anyone puts a peep on a trad bow, but the olympic guys use the pins.
       I had an idea to use just one pin zeroed for your longest shot (35, 40 yds maybe) and then learn the gaps for all other ranges (whether consciously or sub-consciously).
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©