Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Tab Quetions  (Read 708 times)

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
Tab Quetions
« on: November 03, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »
Thinking of trying a tab, again. Can never seem to get the feel. Maybe because the length wasn't right. Can someone post a pic or explain where the tab should be on the fingertips at the shooting position, in other words with the fingers placed on the string and a deep hook applied. Thank you.
John 3:16

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tab Quetions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
Here are a couple Keith.  Kind of hard to show full tension at full draw, but these pictures show how I place my fingers and tab on the string and then I don't let anything move as I draw.

Arne

11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
That's a good illustration by moebow.  Also, notice that the tab leather should not extend too far towards (or beyond) the fingertips. Most tabs need some trimming to fit the shooter and it's not necessary or even recommended to have them extend out beyond the fingertips, which may cause 'slap' to your face depending on your anchor.  I trim mine to be a bit longer than what moeboe shows because I like to wear a thin fleece or cotton glove underneath for cold-weather shooting, but it's the shooter's call.  Being able to customize as you break the tab in is one of the several advantages of a tab over a glove.  BTW, tabs are very easy to make from scrap leather.  You may want to try making a few to get the feel before buying an expensive one.  You might even decide that home-made works better for you.

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
Thank's guy's. Great job as usual Moebow. Ernie are you in the first joint or are you past that with your grip
John 3:16

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
For me, the string is just in front of the index finger joint (towards the finger tip) just behind that first joint on the middle finger and on the pad of the ring finger.  That doesn't show well in these pictures.  Generally I have folks place the string right IN the joint of all three fingers initially and then they can adjust for comfort and ease in the release.

There is a nerve that runs though the center of the the joint that can be sensitive for some folks, you kind of have to "play" with it a little.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline roncc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
Arne:
I notice you don't use a spacer on your tab.  Why is that?  Isn't that one of the advantages of using a tab?... to prevent torquing the  arrow?    Also, if they are not recommended, why do all the Olympic shooters use spacers?  ... or, again is it mainly just a personal preference?  
I've tried a tab, but for some reason feel more comfortable using a glove.  Since I do use a glove, any recommendations when using a glove,  how best NOT to torque the arrow?

Your opinion is appreciated. thanks!  ....and thanks also for all the great advice you provide in the forum.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
roncc,

I don't use a spacer simply because I've shot for all my life without one.  I guess I've learned to not allow my index finger to press down on the arrow just from doing it that way so long.  There is nothing wrong with using one (spacer) and I certainly would not discourage the use of one.

Oly shooters really need a spacer because of the under the jaw anchor.  There, the index finger IS pressed up to the bottom of the jaw bone and the spacer helps to keep pressure off the arrow. I do use a spacer when shooting Oly style.

I, personally am not a fan of a glove but again, largely just personal preference. And again, I do not discourage the use of one.  It is harder (IMO) to keep the index finger from pressing down on the arrow but a "make shift" spacer could be fabricated if you wanted to.  I also find it harder to get a good deep hook with a glove because now you are trying to bend a tube of leather around the string rather than just a flat layer of leather.

Glad to be of help to some.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©