Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Arrows climbing  (Read 838 times)

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Arrows climbing
« on: November 18, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Alright, I am supposed to be a good archer, but I have this issue I can not understand.  Basically on hill style longbows and some other longbows.  I get the bow and it's arrows nicely tuned and as I shoot all at once the arrows start dropping in the rear and going up on target.  Once this starts to happen I can not make it stop.  I have to put the bow away for the day.  The next time I shoot I may be fine for a while.  What am I doing to make the arrow act like this?  Is it all in my release?  I have no Idea.  This is shooting split finger.  I can usually eliminate this if I go to 3 under, which is not what I wish to do.  Help.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrows climbing
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
Al,

That really sounds as though something in your form is changing as you warm up, tire out, ???

If you can, take a video of an early shot (or 2) that goes well then take another as the problem starts to show up. You may be able to see a difference.  Or post here if you can't.

I presume you have or are checking the common culprits such as nocking point not moving, brace height staying the same, etc.

Arne

PS.  If 3 under makes it go away, be sure when shooting split that you are not putting too much pressure on the arrow and making it bend down between the fingers and the bow at full draw. This usually can be easily seen by an observer or photo but you may not be able to see or sense it.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
Can't help you with the split/3 under difference, as I only shoot 3 under, however, when I start missing high, I look for one of these things:

1.  My string elbow starts drooping.  The line of force is along my string forearm, so when it droops, it sends the arrows high.

2.  My anchor shifts lower, sending the arrows high.  A remarkably small shift in anchor will do this, as little as 1/8".

3.  I peek.  Until someone pointed this out to me, I would have sworn I kept my head still, but I was moving it and just not aware of the movement.

4.  I pluck.  Normally, this will throw the arrows to the right, but there is a particular type of upwards pluck that I haven't really figured out completely that throws the arrows up.  In any event, the solution is the same: maintain back tension until after the shot is fired.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
I would say this seems to be an issue on longbows with the shelf cut 2" above center.  On bows where shelf is an inch or so the issue never shows.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
Just shot 30 arrows.  All went perfect.  Per moebow, I made sure my top finger was not pushing on arrow nock.  I also made sure the heel of my hand was firmly against the bow, not necessarily behind the bow but just firmly against the bow.  All ideas are greatly appreciated.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
Good to hear Al!  That is something I struggle with from time to time too.  Have at it.     :bigsmyl:  

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©