Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Who Uses Visualization in Shooting?  (Read 875 times)

Offline Craig_H

• Trad Bowhunter
Who Uses Visualization in Shooting?
« on: December 02, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
As part as my shot process I try and visualize my arrow hitting the target as I draw back my bow.

Sometimes I might miss this step, or it's not as strong/clear in my mind. (Need more practice with this.)

Who uses visualization in there shot sequence?
Predator Classic Recurve
Swift BowStrings

Online ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who Uses Visualization in Shooting?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
I notice that I do it more when I am stump shooting (I believe it is because of the fact I don't want to break arrows) I do shoot better when I do visualize. I need to do it more when I practice on targets.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
I Pull back my bow a couple times in the stand to reset my internal computer however I've found visualizing the sequence also helps with mental preparation so that it happens more automatically when it's time. I don't limit myself to doing it in the stand it works anytime.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
I believe the best use of visualization is when you're not getting ready to shoot an arrow.  The story of the POW in  Vietnam comes to mind, where he would play18 holes of golf in his mind, fairly often, with the result that his actual golf game improved when he returned to the United States.

I think the problem when you visualize something right before you shoot is that you are putting your mind into a conceptual mode of thinking in a reality that is either in the future or in some undefined place in space and time.  You can't hit something in the future, only in the here and now.

I commonly get into this frame of mind when I shoot my first 3 arrows out of four into the bullseye, and imagine how great it would be if I shoot the 4th one into the bullseye too.  If I can't get myself back into the here and now before I make that 4th shot, it's probably not going into the bullseye, because a part of my concentration is being used to support a concept that isn't real, at least not yet.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
I started using visualization 20 years ago when training for competition using my wheel bows.  I use it now for the same reason and it really isn't much different.  

I don't visualize the arrow but instead I visualize the whole shot sequence.  You can do this just as easy sitting in your recliner as standing in front of the target.  Of course, first you need to know and feel what a perfect shot is before you can visualize doing it again.  

This is one of the skills that Rod Jenkins alludes to in his class and the reason for blank baleing.  Close your eyes in front of a blank bale and execute the perfect shot before opening your eyes.  Mental training is at least as important as muscle training if not more so.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Craig_H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
Thanks all, some interesting replies.
Predator Classic Recurve
Swift BowStrings

Offline Craig_H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 04:37:00 AM »
Just watched a show on the Blue Angel pilots. They do visualization exercises before they even step into the plane for the airshows.

Must be defiantly something in it, if they do it, considering the risk to life and the multi-million dollar airplanes they fly.

Still not sure if I am going to visualize before I commence the shot sequence, or as I draw back the bow. I am primarily practicing for hunting, so I think I will do it while drawing the bow, it saves some time in a hunting situation. Just my train of thought for now.
Predator Classic Recurve
Swift BowStrings

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
It's really just developing your muscle memory. Not necessary in all circumstances but can provide that additional practice when you're not with the bow.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
I never really gave it much thought until I was reading a thread about shooting quickly earlier today...I think the reason some bowhunters have difficulty picking a spot is related to their inability to visualise...I am fortunate to often have deer in my yard...I enjoy watching them and at the same time mentally rehearse where I would want my broad head to enter

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©