Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Why Can't I Shoot Targets  (Read 766 times)

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Why Can't I Shoot Targets
« on: December 03, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
I have been shooting a trad bow for going on seven years and it seems that I have shot millions of arrows in the process.  I have gotten to a point where I am very happy with my accuracy when out stump shooting, even at distances 35-40 paces.  I hunt with my recurve and would not hesitate to take a shot a little over 25 yards, if the conditions were just right.  My Vegas and similar target style scores have not improved in years.  My question is, Why?  Every other aspect of my shooting has improved except for that.  It must be something to do with my faulty computer between my ears.  I can't be the only trad archer experiencing this.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why Can't I Shoot Targets
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
As Howard Hill said, "Son, you've got to decide if you want to hunt or shoot targets," (or something like that).

Especially in Vegas style shooting, you've got to pound arrow after arrow into a target with very few unknowns: known distance, flat ground, no wind, ideal temperature.  Turn all those knowns into unknowns and limit yourself to one or two shots from any given position and you've got more interesting shooting, in my opinion.  More problems to solve keeps my mind more awake.  When I'm shooting indoors, I'm focusing on only two things: perfect form every shot and putting the tip of the arrow on the same spot every shot.  The last time I shot an indoor league, I decided to shoot it instinctively and purposely avoided noticing what spot the arrow needed to be on to hit the bullseye.  My score wasn't as high, but I actually enjoyed it more, because I had to be in tune with my inner feeling that the arrow was pointed at the right place rather than artificially putting the point on a certain spot.  But I don't usually play to lose, which is why I don't shoot indoor leagues very often. I don't like to have to make a choice between winning and having fun.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
I have the same problem. I find that I can't focus properly shooting paper targets. The IFAA targets (dark blue with a white spot) are easier to shoot for me, because of the spot in the middle, but I'm always better stump shooting.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
Perhaps you are over-bowed.  Stump shooting a a shot every five minutes.  Hunting every 20 hours +/-.  Target shooting every 40 seconds.  If you do better with the first two it could be because you are pulling too much weight repeatedly.

It was common for bowhunters to drop 10# to a ligher bow for field archery and target.  I can shoot five shaft groups with my 40# Wing Presentation II at 20 yards that I can reach around with my thumb and forefinger.  Not so with my 55# bows.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
shooting at olympic style (scoring ring) targets is a complete waste of time,,,, pull that target off the bale or wall and just shoot at the brown bale in diffrent tiny spots is alot more fun and good practice for picking spots.
"Us vs Them"

Offline cnowheels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
you are putting to much pressure on yourself to score. Getting mind off of score and just shoot is the hard part. I have shot frogs and rabbits at 20-25 yards and turn around and completely miss an elk target at 20 yards.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©