Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Bow arm/draw length... need some help  (Read 735 times)

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bow arm/draw length... need some help
« on: December 07, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
Hello all. I'm shooting a Selway/Centaur, r/d longbow... same one for over two years now - and still looking for a consistent bow arm position. Has varied from 28" (fairly extended, but not quite locked) arm, down to about 26.5/27 currently. This gives a fair bend in my arm, but seems to reduce torquing the bow, and keeps a good tension between string and bow hand. I am conscious of bringing my string hand elbow around to keep back tension.
 Measuring with a yardstick held just above my sternum, arms extended fully but not over stretching, I get around 27".
 So, my question is, I suppose: Does 27" or so seem like an appropriate draw length, given that there's a noticeable bend in my bow arm, or is it recommended to shoot with a "straighter" bow arm?
 Also, any tips on judging consistent extension of the bow arm, other than when shooting broad heads with an arrow length that touches the fingers?
 Hope I'm making sense here. Thanks in advance for feedback.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow arm/draw length... need some help
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Are you comfortable is my first question-if it doesn't "feel right" it isn't.  Past that, got a draw picture?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
I think it would be a mistake to say that 27" is an appropriate draw length for you or anyone else.  Once a person achieves good alignment, it is instructive to measure draw length to help in selecting arrow length, bows, etc., but not the other way around.

It might be interesting for you to come to full draw and have someone hold a yardstick on your shoulder blades and see where it points.  It should point toward the target.

Also, study Terry's form clock, toward the top of this section.

I've been to a fair number of classes, read some trad archery books and watched videos, and don't believe there is a hard and fast rule about how much, if any, you should bend your bow arm.  I think you have to work out what works best for you, which would include what seems most repeatable to you.  Short of using a clicker or drawing a broadhead to your finger, body memory is about the best you can do.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Slowbow...,

Think about this!  When you are standing up,how are your knees set?  Do you find a small range that your upper body weight is supported on your bones?  Now go to a 1/4 or even a 1/2 squat.  How long can you hold it and how comfortable is it?

Why would your bow arm be any different?  Elbow straight and not bent (not locked either).  This will give you the most consistent bow arm position, every time!  Torquing the bow is NOT a bow arm problem but rather a bow HAND problem.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 12:15:00 AM »
Slobow;

If you can attend a clinic or get personal coaching on form I would highly recommend it. I recently attended a Rod Jenkins clinic and it helped me a lot.  Develop your form and consistency and your draw length will find it's self and be "right" ( no matter what the length ).
As far as feeling "right " or wrong, that is a function of being used to it. You can have terrible or completely bad form, but if that is what you are used to then "correct" or "good" form will feel unnatural or "wrong" until you are used to it.
JMHO from experience and recent learning.

Good luck finding your own style   :)
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
Very helpful responses, plenty for me to work with. In hindsight, I could have left out the "appropriate?" part of the question, and left it to the degree of bend in the arm. Went out late yesterday and shot just a little ( my fingers are getting cold fast this time of year!), keeping in mind McDave's suggestion about shoulder alignment, and, as always, Arne's points got me thinking... found focusing on my bow hand (wrist, actually) was probably part of my problem at fuller extension. That imagery of his about  supporting weight on bones, rather than muscles, also helps a lot.

Wish I could find a mentor, or simply shooting buddies around here, but no luck so far, and as always, the TG family is where I look for help, and always find it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©