Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Who Has Plateaued?  (Read 846 times)

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Who Has Plateaued?
« on: December 13, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
I have been shooting a traditional bow for almost seven years.  In my first year my skills grew quickly and exponentially. After another year or so, I had expected the improvement to slow.  I was wrong.  My improvements in shooting did not slow, but rather, stopped all together and hovered around the same level of competency for the past five years or so. Has any one else experienced this?  It is disappointing sometimes and has prompted me to think that I am as good with a recurve bow as I will ever be.  At least I enjoy the experience. That is was keeps me shooting several times a week and always trying to improve.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who Has Plateaued?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
Brent,

This is pretty common.  When a plateau is encountered it becomes time to go back to basics and REALLY examine EVERY part of your shot - one piece at a time.  Use video, be VERY self critical and VERY self honest.

Examine each step in your shot sequence and work on improving each step ONE AT A TIME!  Take the target (bull's eye) DOWN and work on shot execution.

I know you don't want to hear this, but your "bow list" has some pretty stout bows on it.  I suggest you find a 30# bow (or so) and really work your shot sequence.

You will find that if you do this, your shooting MIGHT (probably will) get worse for a bit but stick with it and you will be able to improve to a higher level.  Some coaching sessions are probably in order too if possible.

Good luck with it and if we can help, keep posting here.  Questions, video, etc.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
There are different ways to approach this problem, which don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Arne describes a top-to-bottom self analysis of your shot.

Going to a class taught by someone such as Rick Welch or Rod Jenkins, who have proven track records of improving the performance of students who have attended is another.

Focusing on increasing your awareness of what is going on in your body as you make the shot is yet another.  If, like most people in Western culture, this is something you haven't given much, if any thought to, it could offer you the greatest potential for immediate benefit.  What I mean by this is that refining something that you know is important and have already been working on can yield benefits, but probably not the same level of immediate benefit as focusing on another thing that is important that you may have previously ignored.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
I have been shooting more in my basement at 10 yards lately.  I've learned that shooting a Vegas style target over and over and over at the same range is a great way to build and then reinforce bad habits.  Shooting at such a close range really does allow me to focus of my shot sequence above all else, and I can do it while its dark, raining, snowing or mud outside.  The reduction in bow weight is a good point if that were an issue.  My target panic based bad habits carry over to my wrist rocket (maybe 10lb draw) if I am not careful.  The very best practice that I have come to rely on once in a while it shooting with a release.  My shooting improves for a while after I've shoot with a release for a session or two, only to regress to the average.  After doing alot of reading and question on the topic, what seems to happen is the usage of the release forces new neuropathways to be formed since I cannot snap shoot while the string is strapped to my wrist.  I can only draw to anchor, focus on the spot I want to hit, keep pulling until my feather touches my nose, and then, providing that everything has gone right, squeeze the trigger, not with my finger muscles but with back tension while my finger is laying on the trigger.  My shooting with a glove really improves after I shoot this way for just an hour or two total. Unfortunately,  my subconscious doesn't seem to allow for this to be a permanent solution.  At this point, it is one step forward and one step back.  Eventually, I hope increase my traveled distance by one step per revolution of the cycle.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline alaninoz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 03:48:00 AM »
I support what both Moebow and McDave say, and would add that one way to improve after reaching a plateau (and not just in archery)is to try something different. Get out of your routine. Instead of shooting at targets in your basement - or at target faces at all for that matter - go stumping shooting, shoot bow birds, go have fun. Mix things up a bit. Much the same as McDave suggests, just at the macro level rather than the micro level.
Alan

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
I have plateaued because I shoot with one style until I start having some problems IE target panic.  Instead of really working to address the issue, I change how I shoot.  That works out great for a little while, but not for too long.  I always enjoyed point shooting with split fingers.  I have shot that way all of my recurve/longbow days, except for about the last 3 months. When I first started shooting I watched Fred Bear online.  I tried to shoot just like him, and my form was the same although the accuracy wasn't quite the same.  I think I should just stay shooting one way. I haven't had much fun aiming and it seems my groups are getting a little worse.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Brent,

If you are Fred Bear, shoot just like Fred.  IF you are Brent Wallace, shoot like Brent!!  Study the "masters" YES! Learn form them -- absolutely! But trying to do it JUST like them is a poor proposition. We aren't them.

Get a decent shot sequence that you can do every time and most likely TP and other "ills" will go away.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
A limb mounted clicker has seemingly saved my traditional archery career. I have had it on my 47# TD recurve for about ten days.  Never have I had this kind of control over my shot.  If something goes wrong, like missing my anchor, stopping the draw for any reason or any other issue during the shot arises, I can let down and start over. My form has really improved and the improved control over my shot has produced a byproduct in the form of sharply improved accuracy and consistency, even when shooting at 30+ yards. I can say with confidence that I have broken my plateau.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 02:26:00 AM »
Me, and my plateau was pretty poor.

I'm in the process of doing what Arne suggested- went back to blank bale, raised my anchor and trying to groove in better form. It almost like starting over unfortunately.....but I'm seeing better results already
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline ghoster808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 03:28:00 PM »
I have found that any hobby, I took up; archery, golf, target pistol, rifle bench, 3 gun action shooting, skeet and trap, and heck even guitar playing, the initial learning curve is very steep. Plateaus come with anything and I agree with analyzing the basic fundamentals. It has always been the little things that lead to big break throughs. The trick of it though is finding what that little thing is. Thats where Moe's suggestion of video and hard self analysis is a great tip. When shooting 10M air pistol competitively a daily journal was invaluable. I recommend this so you dont reinvent the wheel in your quest to break into the next level.
"Till The Wheels Fall Off"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©