Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting W/ non dominant eye  (Read 917 times)

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting W/ non dominant eye
« on: December 14, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »
I wanted to hear from people who shoot with their nondominant eye and what their methods are. I have been trying to shoot instinctively with both eyes open for around two years and have not been happy with my results or progress. My biggest problem is shooting an occasional arrow way,way right at even close range (two to three feet at fifteen yards) I can shoot 10, 20 or more good arrows in between. or it can occur every 3 or 4. The sight picture is always the same to me and I am always surprised when it happens. I'm shooting lefty and I'm right eye dominant. Anyway I was trying to see what other guys are doing or if anyone has thought on what I am doing I'd love to hear you opinions. Thanks, Greg

Re: Shooting W/ non dominant eye
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
I had the same trouble for a long time.  A couple things that helped me:

1)  I  squint the right eye as I come to full draw. it'll force the left eye to take over.

2)  I had to make sure I had the arrow directly under my left eye, and take a quick look to make sure the arrow is aligned with the mark.

After a few weeks of making conscious effort of making sure everything was in line, my brain apparently caught on.  There's still a few times when I question alignment, and just squint to check and it all falls in place before the shot.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
I was a right-handed shooter who had to squint my left eye or I shot consistently left. I switched to left handed and could leave both eyes open. I found my shooting to be faster and more instinctive.

I still shoot right handed sometimes (often carry both a left hand bow and my right hander up to the shop with me). I find I can shoot just as accurately right handed, but it takes more conscious effort to make sure the arrow is directly under my right eye and I have to squint the left eye. It may depend on the degree of dominance in the eyes. I'm quite strongly left eye dominant.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
Greg, your situation sounds so much like mine few years ago that it is scary.

I tried it for awhile but never could master it. Finally decided to stop fighting it and switched to the dominant side....... Best thing I ever did for my consistency. I used to have the occasional arrow that missed it's mark by several feet just as you described. After switching to the dominant eye....it has never happened....ever. Problem solved, with nothing extra to think about. Squinting even slighly, messed with my vision too much to be acceptable to me. And this unnatural action must be repeated each time to ensure maximum accuracy.

Those unpredictable large misses screw with your confidence....and the thought of wounded game caused me to explore a more permanent and natural option.

You really won't believe the improvement in your sight picture until you try it. Also, try shooting at a candle or similar in total darkness. I almost guarantee that you are not shooting purely instinctive. If you were, your right eye wouldn't be  trying to align the arrow....causing your far right misses. Good luck man, it's a tough road either way.
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
Jason, I agree with you on the instinctive shooting, I should have said I'm not consciously using the arrow to aim. I shot right handed for 25 years and wish I could go back but that probably isn't going to happen. You aren't kidding about the confidence,nothing like thinking you have it all figured out and have an arrow you thought was perfect hit four feet to the right of where you were aiming. Thanks, Greg

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
If RH shooting is out of the question, have you tried to close one eye completely? For you, the loss in vision may be a fair trade off for consistency and it may be easier for you to replicate than squinting since you can force that eye to stay closed or use something to block your left eye.
Take care,
Jason

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
Sorry, I meant to say block your Right eye.
Take care,
Jason

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
I shoot both right handed and left handed all the time...I have never had the issue you describe, I am not a conscious aimer, and I shoot with both eyes wide open...sometimes when it comes time to hunt I am shooting better one way than the other which means I am more confident which means I hunt that way...all I am really saying here is that reasonable shooting can happen either way

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
I guess I should add that I live in a situation where I can shoot virtually every day and I do...I am sure that helps me be consistent both ways

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
ttt same for me
Arrow_Flynn

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
I find that I do my best when I close both eyes...

ChuckC   :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©