Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Aiming vs. Instinct  (Read 4175 times)

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aiming vs. Instinct
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 02:22:00 AM »
Some good points on a volatile topic. Developing good form is crucial and the best is to dial it in on a blank bale- see "Masters of the Barebow 3"

I've seen some very good instinctive shooters that are lights out at 20 yds, soso at 30 and not consistent past 35- which is about what an avg guy can expect, IMO. The longer shots benefit from a reference system.

Few instinctive guys can hang close to an avg gap shooter at tournament shoots where pinpoint accuracy equates to higher scores.
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
Dave / John

Remember, that sight picture that you are seeing (above) is for a certain distance.   Move closer, or farther, and the gap changes.  At some point, the gap is "point on" (no gap at all) and beyond that, the gap is above the intended target.

CHuckC

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
I don't think there is any "Aiming vs. Instinct."  It's sort of like saying "Back Tension vs. Form."  Aiming is a part of instinctive shooting, just like back tension is a part of form.  Just because you're not lining up a sight (or arrow point) with a target doesn't mean that you aren't aiming.  We've all had the experience of missing the target even though we were concentrating on it.  The "concentrating" is the aiming, and the missing is because we weren't lined up, or blew our release, or.......
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
This might be helpful.

Jimmy Blackmon

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
Another one that might be useful. Obviously, these are to help you better understand gapping.

Jimmy Blackmon

Offline ironmike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 12:09:00 AM »
don't worry about that, develope a great deep hook,develope a great brace arm/follow through.let the rest take it';s natural coarse..i assume you want to enjoy archery and are not a competitive indoor hairsplitter,read  byron fergusons book, "become the arrow....best practical advice out there.

Offline Medicare Bhtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »
The videos by Ranger B are the best I have seen to explain gap shooting.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
In the end it's up to each person to decide what 'pointing method' works for them.  If your current method produces good results (based on your personal objectives, not someone else's) then you have found a good method.  It's really that simple, no need to overcomplicate it.

Offline Gentle-Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 02:53:00 AM »
from what i've been reading, and based on my study of psychology - "aiming" whether split vision, gap etc - is a conscious calculation, whereas instinctive, is where you relax your conscious brain ( assuming good form has become a motor engram that it happens at an unconscious-competency level of function) and let your brain work out the "aiming Process". it's just a switch from conscious to unconscious method of getting the arrow to your target.

A good analogy in aiming would be likened unto Bowling - you consciously line up your arm going backward, then as it moves forward, you focus on it lining up with whichever arrow lines up the ball to the pins - where instinctive would be likened to throwing a baseball or football. you never look at the ball while it's in your hand, you don't focus on any gap etc. you simply look at the person, and the ball goes there.

In the end, it boils down to what kind of personality you have. some people like calculated, logically thought out processes, and I would say gap shooting or any other "aiming" style would fit them better. Me, I like listening to my body (even in the gym, I don't have a "routine", I do what feels natural). I like the feeling of trusting in the unknown, and getting great results.
 hope I'm not beating a dead horse here    :)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (Molon Labe)
Aim Small Miss Small
"Rise and Rise Again - Until Lambs Become Lions"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Most instinctive shooters I know and hunt with are proficient way beyond 20 yards.  Its all in how each individual is programed by God....again, some are better at gap (conscious) and some are better at instinctive(subconscious).  

You have to decide what works best for you, but there is no limitation to instinctive at 20 yards.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Your first post mentioned sighting down the arrow or instinctive. If you are shooting 3 under that is an easy way to start. But I might add you can sight down the arrow AND shoot instinctive too. A lot of people do that.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 09:37:00 AM »
I agree with ChuckC. Well said.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
I use a form of gap style or "gun-barrelling" as well, until I shoot at aerial targets. Then all gap aiming goes out the window and my "instincts" kick in.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline TomatoLane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
They are completely different, from a target rule of thumb, meaning.

When using sights/aiming, you never take your eyes off the back sights/down the arrow,(the target is blurry, if no scope is used), or you are shooting blind.

Instinctive is, you never take your eyes off the target(your sights are blurry/the arrow), or you are shooting blind.

If that makes sense.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
Sorry tomato,  common theory for using sights is to focus on the target too.  The sight/pin is blurry.

NOT saying some don't focus on the sight, but most coaches will advise focus on the spot to be hit and the sight to be blurry and floating.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline TomatoLane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by moebow:
Sorry tomato,  common theory for using sights is to focus on the target too.  The sight/pin is blurry.

NOT saying some don't focus on the sight, but most coaches will advise focus on the spot to be hit and the sight to be blurry and floating.

Arne
Then I would for sure have to disagree.

If you take your eys off the sights, then you are not using the sights, not matter what is taught.

just saying.

The worlds top shooters will tell you the same thing.

If you remove your eyes from the sights you are shooting blind.

Offline TomatoLane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by TomatoLane:

Arne
Then I would for sure have to disagree.

If you take your eys off the sights, then you are not using the sights, not matter what is taught.

just saying.

The worlds top shooters will tell you the same thing.

If you remove your eyes from the sights you are shooting blind. [/b]
If the shooter in this pic,was looking at the deers head,and not his sights  I guarantee he will miss his target.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
Do some homework before you get too far out on that limb there tomato.  First, the deer's head is NOT the target so...

"The worlds top shooters will tell you the same thing."  Are you really sure about that??

Second, check out any book that deals with archery and sight shooting (one suggestion is Larry Wise's "Core Archery" page 50) and MOST others.

You are certainly free to believe what you want, but it isn't "mainstream" OR commonly taught.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline TomatoLane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »

Arne
This is what you are talking about arne.

the target is still in the sight ring.If I looked at the target outside that sight ring I would miss.

Well this is what I would call floating.

The sight ring is part of the sights is it not?

I wouldnt aim my compound bow without looking through the sight ring would I?

Or have I been doing it wrong?

And just compensated?

Offline TomatoLane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
Should I look outside my sight ring when aiming my Bow?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©