Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Just switched to split finger  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
Just switched to split finger
« on: January 10, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
Well I was having some serious tuning issues, arrows not flying great, my release with 3 under was probabbly the problem.

I shoot rick welches style just because it seems pretty consistent, well it worked with my recurve but not so well with my new longbow.

I said what the heck never shot split before in my life, made the arrows fly like darts, 10 x quiter, feel more in control, feels more natural and gets the arrow away from my eye so I can focus more.

I had got some easton axis trad and they flew like crap shooting 3 under, but shooting split they fly great, I love wood but these axis are 50 grains lighter and give me about 9.5 grains per pound over my wood with my 40lb bow, and will yield more penetration over the 5/16 wood I assume on animals.

But we shall see.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just switched to split finger
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
I never could get used to three under. It just never felt right to me. I actually did kill some animals shooting 3 under but made the switch back to split and never looked back. Good luck!

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
I shoot split, that's how I learned many years ago and it's hard to switch.  I've given three under a good try every winter for the last few years and can see where it has some advantages for hunting or 3D.  I can never learn how to do it without tearing up the side of my face and nose so ultimately end up back at split.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 03:31:00 PM »
I have tried three under. The problem I had with one bow, 50" Browning Cobra, was that I had to shoot very delicately or I would lift the arrow off of the rest. when taking a quick shot at game, I cannot do delicate. It is remarkable how far one can miss if the arrow is lifted an inch off of the rest. There is an arrow hole between the upstairs windows on my house. I was only off by only 45 degrees from the target behind my garage, and that was with a longbow.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
I like the control part, I am using the same anchor points, gonna have to move my cock feather back some for my nose anchor.

My nock point changed from 1/2 to 3/4 to get the bow to shoot where I was looking.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
I shoot split for,all the reasons mentioned above .

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
split fingers for  me.. For all the reasons you listed..
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
Split just feels   :archer:  right!!!
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
When I first got back into shooting a traditional bow I tried 3under for a while.  It is very nice to use if you are a gap shooter or use the arrow as a point of aim.  I had problems though because I kept wanting to just 'go for it' and use more instinctive technique.  Also, my bows were loud.  I switched to split and have been shooting split ever since.  It is comfortable and I enjoy shooting split on light bows and heavy heavy bows.  I am going to try three under again soon when i experiment with stringwalking for hunting using a fixed crawl (love learning new archery techniques), and while that will be neat, I highly doubt I will ever stop shooting split since I have found a technique that works for me.  Everyone should experiment with the grip or aiming technique that yields them the best results, whatever that may be.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
Tried three under and still fool around with it some but split is what I really like.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
I have only tried three under a few times, but it was never comfortable for me.
Sam

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
Split for me,just feels more natural! I used to shoot a lot of 3D years ago and that was one of the rules for Traditional longbow.The rules probably have changed a lot since then though.

Offline Klent G. Johnston

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »
I started with three under because that was the only way I could hit the bag. Once I got where missing the bag was no longer a problem I tried split and my shooting distance increased. I did kill a deer using 3 under. However,for some reason I was limited in range with 3 under and felt I had less control of the arrow on the string. Now I will always use split.

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »
Glad to hear there are a lot of spilt fingers out there. I was starting to worry there was something wrong with me.
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
Don't worry. I bet if you took a look at every archer out there split would dominate.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
Started split, switched to three under for three years and enjoyed it, but I just couldn't get used to the noise.  Switched from recurves back to longbows and also back to split finger.  I don't keep score shooting targets and the quietness and control of split is better for me for hunting.  Don't see reason not to and two years of shooting split again I've never shot better.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©