Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: String on fingers position  (Read 1193 times)

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
String on fingers position
« on: January 22, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »
Folks, A friend told me I need to put the string on my fingertips between the end of finger and first join. I said I thought string on first joint was standard. What say you?

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String on fingers position
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
I am new! So I have been trying a lot of different things, trying to find my bows sweet spot, and what shooting style feels the most natural to me.... I tried putting the string out on my finger tips. I felt like I was constantly straining to keep it there, and my release was forced, or plucked.... When put the string further back into the joints, I feel like my hand and forearm is more relaxed, there for my release is more relaxed and less plucking... Hope that makes since?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
fm,

I think most that have any training will suggest that a hook taken in or very near the first joints, from the tips, of the fingers is the strongest, reduces unwanted tension and give the cleanest release.  A deep hook IS counter intuitive but is used by all the top shooters that I know of and is a foundation of the NTS.

Those that argue FOR the tips of the fingers, seem to misunderstand and think that since there is "less" finger the release will be better. Just not the case.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »
While I agree with Arne, and put the string in the first joint of my fingers myself, other people have successfully used different locations.

For example, Rick Welch puts the string on his fingertips, as your friend suggests, and has been very successful in winning tournaments and taking game with this method.

Historically, I believe the string on the fingertips has been more common than it is today.  For example, in Horace Ford's book, he recommends putting the string on the fingertips.

Other people hold the string so that it rests between the first two joints.  How they manage to shoot that way, I don't know, but I know people who swear by and shoot very well using that placement.

As with many things in archery, one size does not necessarily fit all, which is one of the things that makes it interesting.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
Absolutely!! McDave.  There are many examples of "other" ways to do things and do them successfully too.

I shot for MANY years off my fingertips and had calluses that you could drive nails with.  Now I have no calluses and no burn in the finger tips when shooting thanks to the deep hook.  I will always recommend a deep hook to any that ask about it but in NO way mean to imply that it can't be done differently.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
Thank you, I can always count on good advice with this site. I tried this a little this afternoon and when I used the end of my fingers, I seemed to twist the string. I'm back to first joint....

Offline Gentle-Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 01:31:00 AM »
Being a student of kinesiology i noticed that using a deep hook or finger pads makes less of a difference depending on how the angle of your fingers correlates with your elbow on draw. when using a deep hook, my hand looks almost identical to if you put it face down on a table, then curled the finger tips under so as to make a panther paw. but if I were to keep that angle (90 degree angle at the 2nd knuckle) trying to use finger tips, the string is now about 1/2 inch farther away (draw a mental line form your elbow to where the string rests on your fingers).

so when using finger tips, i'll open my hand a bit, resembling hanging by the fingertips on a ledge - but it does take a bit more forearm tension to keep the string on this way, but the release catches me more by surprise.

so I can see both ways of doing it, just depends on your physiology and what your muscle memory is more comfortable with. just one noobie's opinion   :)  

-Nalder
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (Molon Labe)
Aim Small Miss Small
"Rise and Rise Again - Until Lambs Become Lions"

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
Exactly Nalder, holding the string on the fingertips puts a lot of tension in the back of the hand and up through the forearm. Not only does this make it more uncomfortable to hold the weight at full draw, but it makes a clean release harder to achieve. A deeper hook allows the back of the hand and forearm to be more relaxed, and if you get your elbow back and around the bone structure will pick up the weight and full draw be much easier to hold. The relaxed hand and forearm will make for a much cleaner release even though it seems that there is more finger that has to move out of the way of the string.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
Yep, this is one of the several myths many were taught about shooting archery.

You can try this yourself. Try putting the tips of the fingers on the string and compare to being in the joints.  The back of the hand will be bowed with the tip set and can be flat when in the joints.

The flat condition is the more relaxed.  When kids (especially) are at anchor and say, "I can't let the string go", it is because their drawing hand is under tension.

You can also experience the difference by holding a 5 gallon bucket with some weight in it. Hold the bucket with a shallow (finger tips) vs. deeper (1st joint)and notice the drawing hand tension. Like Mahantango wrote above, the hand bone is connected to the arm bone, etc.

Offline TomatoLane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
Yes I am ass backwards.

I do an inverted draw with 3 under and pinky over.

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »
I also use the tips of my fingers, I have always read on proper release to relax the fingers and allow the string to pull your fingers out. I've tried both methods and found that if I deep hook it I tend to jerk the bow hand before the shot anticipating the release which doesn't happen.

With the tips I find it catches me by surprise just like Gentle-Savage stated above, which when shooting rifles I've always been taught 'squeeze the trigger (which I also do with the tip of my finger) and let the gun surprise you when it goes off' So indeed it's a training thing and personal preference thing, plus to me it makes more logical sense if you are going to let the string pull your fingers open.
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"
Darkside Laminated LB 50# @ 28"
Darkside Laminated LB 37# @ 28"

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 01:10:00 AM »
I'm surely no expert, but Fred Asbell's advice worked for me.  He said to put your fingers on the string the same way you'd pick up a can of paint by the wire handle.  Put the string in the first joint, and you'll find the back of your hand straight, not clawed up.

Murray
Murray Seratt

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
I have been using a deep hook at the first joint.  My question is with a deep hook are you anchoring with the backs of the fingernail to your face or the tips of the nails.
T ZZZZ

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
I think you are trying to "over think" it there tracker.  Set your string hook (whatever it is) draw, set whatever facial references you use at full draw.  But I believe that if you are placing hand bones against face bones for references, you won't have the tactile ability to know if you are touching with "fingernail" orientation.

Using a deep hook, you set your sting hand hook as you need it and don't let that position change during the draw, your finger nails will be where they are.  Worrying about "backs" or "tips" of the finger nails is just cutting it too fine.  IMO

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
Tracker, the best way, IMO, to determine how deep of a hook  to take is by experiment.  If I take too shallow of a hook, the force of drawing the bow causes my hook to open up and the string to slide out on the tips of my fingers.  When this happens, I feel excessive tension in my hand from trying to keep the bow from firing prematurely.  If I take too deep of a hook, I find that there is unnecessary tension in my hand from the start of my draw as I try to keep my fingers curled.  For me, the right amount of hook is where there is a minimum amount of tension in my hand during the draw.  YMMV on where exactly that is, but you can't go wrong by learning to feel and trust your own body and to listen to what it is telling you.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 11:40:00 AM »
So when someone refers to a deep hook is that referring to how far into the finger the string is placed,  how much the fingers are curled back to the plan or both?
T ZZZZ

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
Finger tips pointed back towards your chin/throat at full draw with string in or near the first joints from the fingertips.  That is the "deep hook" definition as used by the National Training System;  others MAY define it differently!  Most of my answers to questions are based on the NTS.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 06:59:00 PM »
Moe
Thanks for the definition.  That was what I was thinking.  Think I found the happy medium.  I have always anchored with my index finder but wanted to move it to my middle finger so I could cut down my gap.  Worked on it a little this evening with good results.
T ZZZZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©