Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Form or Fitness?  (Read 628 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Form or Fitness?
« on: February 01, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
As I have gotten older, my draw length has decreased greatly. I used to pull 27". Last week, it was measured at a mere 25". Is it common that with age, this will be caused by simple loss of muscle mass and basic strength, or is it most likely a form issue from lack of proper back tension? I have an issue with back problems and arthritis is also creeping into the picture.
Sam

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Form or Fitness?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Sam,

I can't answer about any medical problems but if you are using bone on bone support at full draw, I don't see how you have lost 2".  That would really be a lot of "bone" length loss.  I too have lost physical strength as I age, but my draw length hasn't changed.

Let's look at your form first.  Got video??

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline alaninoz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 03:21:00 AM »
Depending on age, health, etc there could be some loss of draw length due to wear, shrinkage, etc of cartilage but I wouldn't expect anything like a loss of 2" in draw length without other significant medical issues.
Alan

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
At 69, my draw length is actually longer than it was 20 years ago, due to better posture and learning more about expansion.  Not significantly, maybe from 27 to 28", but longer. My draw weight has been reduced significantly.  I regularly shot 65# bows 20 years ago, whereas now my hunting bow is 50# and target bow is 40#.  Part of that is choice, as I have learned that I can shoot a lower weight bow more accurately that is still perfectly adequate for the job.  Occasionally I still draw my 65# bow just to see if I can still manage to do it, and I can get it back probably as far as I was drawing in those days, but not the way I draw and hold now.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©