Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: What is my ILF recurve trying to tell me?  (Read 577 times)

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
What is my ILF recurve trying to tell me?
« on: February 07, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
I think my question revolves around correct tiller and the respective pressure of my fingers on the bowstring at full draw.

In an effort to improve my form, (thanks for the videos, Moebow), I am practicing with a 64", 38# ILF recurve with no silencers of any kind on the string. Confused about positive/negative tiller, I have adjusted my limbs to dead neutral, for the time being. I have also gone from 600 grain, barrel tapered ash shafts to 400 grain carbons, just to increase the potential noise generation factor. (As one might expect, the heavier shafts, all else being equal, are quieter.)

I shoot split finger and I have read that there should be a difference of somewhere in the neighborhood of 3/16ths of an inch, measured either from the limb fade outs, or the end of the riser, to the string. My first question is, which limb gets the larger measurement?

As the large callus on my ring finger attests, I have a very bad habit of putting way too much pressure on that finger and I am trying to improve that. (Thanks again, Moebow.) In my practice session, today, I discovered that if I put an exaggerated amount of pressure on my forefinger, I seem to make a much smoother release and the bow makes significantly less noise at the shot.

Since my limb bolts are both two full turns up from "bottom", I think I have plenty of room to tighten one of them enough to cause an 1/8" to 1/4" tiller adjustment. My second question: which bolt do I tighten? (Man, I hate being stupid!)

I will continue to try and improve my finger pressure during the draw; I know I have a bad habit that must be improved. That said, I think my bow is trying to tell me that a proper tiller adjustment will help mitigate the effect of this less than perfect draw with the fingers of my release hand. I need to make one limb stronger than the other to help compensate for my uneven draw, (and gentlemen, that is a tough habit to break)!

Thank you for reading this. I will be appreciative of any wisdom thrown in this direction!

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is my ILF recurve trying to tell me?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
Tiller should be 3/16ths to 1/4 inch and the LARGER measurement on the TOP limb.  Either bolt can be adjusted, top one out a little OR bottom one IN a little -- no more than a quarter to one half a turn then string bow and measure again until you get what you want.  This is an either/or adjustment, NOT both!

In GENERAL, finger pressure should be ABOUT 50% middle finger, 40% index finger and 10% ring finger.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is my ILF recurve trying to tell me?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
Again, my thanks, Moebow. You have answered my questions succinctly and specifically.

OK folks, it's official: Moebow is now my "Archery Guru"!

Thank you, Sir.,

(grasshopper)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©