Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: finger pinch?? VIDEO ADDED  (Read 838 times)

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
finger pinch?? VIDEO ADDED
« on: February 07, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »
What could have changed with my form that I'm now getting finger pinch?  It has never been as issue before.  Am I torquing my string hand?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: finger pinch?? VIDEO ADDED
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
Need FAAAAR more info.  What are you calling finger pinch, what do you feel, are you getting pressure points or soreness/blisters, etc.?  Caused by the string?  Bow length, draw length, 3 under or split?  Arrow pulling off the rest?  GADZOOKS!  Need some specifics.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »
Getting mild pain and new calluses.  58" rd longbow, 28.5" draw.  Split.  Arrow is not pulling off rest.  After a little self exam I think I may be letting my anchor move downward a little.  By the way your videos are awesome.

Stefan

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
Stefan,

Calluses on the finger pads are caused by release technique.  If that is what you are getting, check the "release tips" video again.

If the calluses are on the sides of your fingers, check that you have your forearm, wrist, and hand as relaxed as possible.  You might want to try a finger spacer if you aren't using one.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 12:27:00 AM »

Please critique.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
Overall you have a pretty nice looking shot!! I really like it!!

I looked a the video several times, and in "normal" window size, you are just too far away to really see much in the string fingers.  I tried full screen too and that was grainy and again hard to really see also.

I will say, that I am not a fan of the "Brian Sorrel's" thumb up technique.  NOT saying it won't work!! Just that by sticking your thumb up. you are introducing a lot of tension into your string hand and wrist which can impede the release. It also forces your string hand to a position that MAY not be where your bow string wants it.  Ideally, your bow string will set the position and angle of your hand, not the hand setting or forcing angles on the string (that almost always equals pinch and other undesirable stuff.)

I would SUGGEST that you try a few shots with your thumb down under your jaw bone,wrist and forearm relaxed, and see if there is a difference in feel or pinch.  

Best I can offer from this video.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline TomatoLane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by sveltri:
What could have changed with my form that I'm now getting finger pinch?  It has never been as issue before.  Am I torquing my string hand?
I watched your video too,and I agree with moebow,looks good.

Since you have gotten your form sorted out,Have you really now just,began to reach full draw?

I also see you using a shooting glove? I have tried tons,and only since switching to tabs a few years ago did all my finger pinch(or what I call finger pinch) go away, no matter what bow I use now.

I know most buck up,about certain tabs,But I have used lots of deer skin generic tabs, and modified several aae cavilers.  The aae is ok with some mods, the spacer is to thin, and has sharp edges.So dose the anchor tab.   I am retiring my last modified one today.

this is the new one.

Try a finger spacer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©