Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Who else has SHORTENED their draw and seen great results?  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Who else has SHORTENED their draw and seen great results?
« on: February 09, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
For a few months I've been struggling with "expansion" and back tension, trying to transfer as much of my draw as possible to my back, and (I thought) extend my draw length.

Well, my results were sketchy.  Sure, I could get a longer draw, but my bow arm was anything but rock solid, and everything was overextended, under tension and outta whack.

I had read of a few shooters actually shortening their draws and seeing positive results.  Well, I thought it can't hurt to try something new, as the road I was on was getting me nowhere.

Without getting into the mechanical changes, I only had to drop about half an inch to an inch and everything it falling into place so much better.  I'm not feeling "stretched out" and overextended.  I feel comfortable and in control of the shot like I haven't in a long time.  And the results have been amazing!

I guess I'm curious as to who else has seen positive results from a shorter draw.  What were some things that made you reevaluate your approach to your draw?
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who else has SHORTENED their draw and seen great results?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 10:28:00 PM »
Andrew, when I switched back to split finger a couple of years ago I shortened my draw in an attempt to get the arrow closer and more under my eye.  Initially it felt good and improved accuracy some, but I noticed that my release wasn't as clean, evidenced by the stalls of my glove rubbing my lip and cheek on release.  I also noticed that my draw arm bicep was getting fatigued... That shouldn't happen.
I re-evaluated and went back to square one; Terry's form clock, got bone on bone alignment and then re-established my anchor from there.  Guess what?  28" draw, same as when I shot 3 under and an inch longer than I was doing.
My release is cleaner, no rubbed cheeks and the accuracy caught up.
I have some vids on the shooters forum where I was looking for input if you wanted to check it out and compare.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 01:07:00 AM »
When me and my wife were both shooting Bear takedowns I could not shoot her 28&1/4" arrows, when I went back to longbows I drew 27".  I had a consistant problem with left/right misses. Schulz thought that my draw was a bit long for my arm spread and still keep the bowarm slightly bent, dropping to 26&1/4" was the fix. A slightly slower arrow for sure, but it is way more fun to have the shot come together and hit what I am shooting at. A recurve with a pistol grip, which requires a straighter bowarm, my draw is a bit over 27", but the rest of the form is the same.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:23:00 AM »
I worked for almost 2 yrs. to get my dl down to 30". but every time I would encounter game, I would  wind up drawing my bh into the back of the bow. I gave up.

Hap

Offline rtdbcco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:29:00 AM »
I just started shooting a longbow in October. Until a week ago I was using a 27.5" DL with inconsistent accuracy.  After a session where I stopped worrying about reaching "full draw" & shot much more accurately I have decided that I shoot better from a 26.75" DL.  I think I was stretching my bow arm forward in order to reach the longer length & this would result in flyers mostly to the left (I'm right handed).  I still use the same anchor, I just don't worry about expanding to reach the last 3/4 inch of draw.  I feel much more relaxed at anchor & am able to line everything up better.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 04:01:00 AM »
I have seen better results too by being more "compact" with my form including not over extending my bow arm. I still get good back tension and alignment. I lost a little DL but my shooting is a lot more consistent.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
I had the same thing, shooting better under expanded, until i just admitted that drawn that little extra bit, my body wasn't used to it and I needed to drop down in weight to get back on track (relearn at the new draw). So I practiced first with a lighter bow (my fiance's bow), and pretty soon it felt just as comfy but now I was in much better alignment. My release cleaned up and so did that awful bow arm twitch. Less inconsistency in my draw length when I get tired and better speed with the lighter bow too.

Offline BHall

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
I for one learned the hard way to embrace my long draw.  I'm a true 31" with a 79-1/2" wingspan.  I received advice to shorten my draw by lowering my bow arm shoulder and bending my arm more.  It threw the natural mechanics of my form out of whack.  My speed and accuracy decreased, and my joint pain increased.  Bad trade off.  The natural inclination is to increase your draw weight to compensate for the speed you were accustomed to before shortening.  One bowyer said it best when he asked "why give up free speed?"

I'm aware everybody reacts to changing variables in a different manner.  If it's working for you that's great!  My belief is most folks who benefit were over drawing to start with.  You seem like a pretty long lean guy though.  I'm no expert but I only post this b/c I attribute my attempt to shorten my draw with a pretty gnarly elbow injury.  Therefore I promote folks to stick to their natural draw length, rather that's 25" or 32".  All the best.

B

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 11:39:00 AM »
Here is a photo of Paul Schafer at full draw.  Notice the bow shoulder is low and back, and his bow arm is extended but not locked out.

Being overextended with your bow arm takes your drawing elbow out of alignment with the arrow (left and right misses).  Look at the top of the page at Terry's clock-form.  Great representation of how we should look when viewed from above.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »
There is also the way it "feels" vs. What we are actually doing.  We get used to a "feel".  For me my interest is in taking game with a bow, so I want a form that is as close to the natural conditioned instinct.  When under the pressure of shooting at game, I want it to be as automatic as possible.  The only way you find that out, what works, is by shooting at critters under the effect of adrenaline.

I tend to be able to pull more weight under adrenaline, meaning the bow "feels lighter" to me.  A very light bow weight, say 45 pounds, under adrenaline is too light for me.  This effects my bow arm as I will overextend and be unnatural in a shot at game, and have difficulty flowing the shot or getting off the string.  Fred Bear talked about this in an interview he gave about his freezing and shooting 65 pounds to get the shot off and not hold at full draw.    

I think that "relaxed" and a natural feel is the best.  If you are trying to get to a certain draw length or forcing and "locking out" the bow arm, you have to be aware of the movement too much when under pressure and adrenaline.        

Here is Fred Bear, not quite to full draw.  Bow arm is not over extended.  

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 12:08:00 PM »
Looking now at Howard Hill.  Bow arm has significant bend and is low and back.

Three very successful bowhunters.  

Shoot the middle!       :thumbsup:
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
Same thing has been very noticeable to me in my shooting lately.
Found when I shoot with a little more bend in my bow arm, I am more consistent, and get better arrow flight.  Less torquing. It seems to help with balancing my back tension, too.

I'm still anchoring at the same spot, or perhaps just a bit farther back, and higher... and looks like I've shortened my draw about an inch with the adjustments.

Offline TomatoLane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 11:57:00 PM »
But it may seem like a short draw will help,It will only hurt in the long run.

All ways pull to full draw.

Remember on a 70 meter target,(or the further away your target gets) a 1/4 inch less then full draw, can be a 6 to 10 inch drop off center, (into the 7 and 6 rings) down range at the target.

just saying  :)

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 01:57:00 AM »
Good pictures and post, Jeff.
I would add that all three gentlemen, could have shot longer arrows. Howard was big and only drew 28". I shot a 30" arrow for target for years, but dropped to 28" for hunting because it was more natural. If I hadn't quit target shooting, I would have shortened my draw, and use the same low shoulder, low/bent bowarm with a low wrist. It works best with slightly open shoulders and stance.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
For me the complete opposite.  When I expand my shoulders and draw my shooting is "way" better.  I have found the key to my accuracy and consistency is complete expansion and making sure my shoulders are in line with the target. What I have also noted is that when I do this right it brings the nock under my eye and the sight picture is way better and more instinctive.
T ZZZZ

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pokerdaddy:
For a few months I've been struggling with "expansion" and back tension, trying to transfer as much of my draw as possible to my back, and (I thought) extend my draw length.

Well, my results were sketchy.  Sure, I could get a longer draw, but my bow arm was anything but rock solid, and everything was overextended, under tension and outta whack.

I had read of a few shooters actually shortening their draws and seeing positive results.  Well, I thought it can't hurt to try something new, as the road I was on was getting me nowhere.

Without getting into the mechanical changes, I only had to drop about half an inch to an inch and everything it falling into place so much better.  I'm not feeling "stretched out" and overextended.  I feel comfortable and in control of the shot like I haven't in a long time.  And the results have been amazing!

I guess I'm curious as to who else has seen positive results from a shorter draw.  What were some things that made you reevaluate your approach to your draw?
You just described me! I've done what you have with the same results.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
I don't think over extending means that you are locked into back tension , or in alignment.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©