Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Rotational Draw  (Read 1893 times)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
Rotational Draw
« on: February 13, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
I have always drawn my bows using an arm draw.  I have always shot well but it has prevented me from being really consistent.  My release is loud and I get occasional flyers from plucking.  I have been committed to learning to use my back muscles and getting better.  Read a lot about the rotational draw cycle and watched Arne's (Moebow) video several times.  I have been shooting every evening the last week and trying to make every shot right.  It is really working and my shots are clean, arrow penetrate the target straight, and the bow seems way quieter.  

I'm just wondering if I will be able to pull this off in a hunting situation when I am concentrating on the game vice my draw.  Hoping six months of repetition will help out.  

I know it's been mentioned before but have to give a shout out to Arne.
T ZZZZ

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rotational Draw
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
Tracker,

The draw works very well hunting!  There is always a certain amount of motion required for drawing the bow and whether you are doing an "arm" draw or "rotational" you still need to get to full draw.

Once it becomes second nature, you won't feel quite so robotic -- it will become quick and smooth.

Glad it has helped you.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
Snow day today for Government workers here in the Wash. DC area so I hit my club and hit the indoor range.  It is a little robotic right now but as the session progressed it did feel much more natural.  I'm pretty confident this is really going to work out.  My windage was consistently on line.
T ZZZZ

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
This is a great technique..

Don't use your arm. I wore out my shoulder with poor form and now have ortho arthritis that is not fun to deal with...

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
x2 on the shoulder issues. I've been shooting for over 35 years, and the rotational draw has probably been the most beneficial thing I've learned in that time (thanks Moebow). I struggled with shoulder/ rotator cuff tendonitis off and on for years brought on by a couple years of shooting heavy compounds in the 80's and 30 years as a carpenter. The rotational draw is so much stronger from a physical and mechanical standpoint that I firmly believe it is instrumental in avoiding injury. Learning this technique, plus ditching the compound 20 yrs. ago (I feel they are a prime culprit, but that's another can of worms) has enabled me to comfortably shoot stickbows in the 55-65# range, and my shoulder feels better than when I was in my 30's.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline mightyox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
I just started shooting and id like to see moebows videos. where can i find them? Sorry i can't help with the original post
Hard work and dedication won't bring you nothing but an early grave, unless you're smart about it. -  Jim Bridger

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
just go to youtube and search moebow
T ZZZZ

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
mightyox,

Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMoebow1

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline mightyox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
Thanks buddy.
Hard work and dedication won't bring you nothing but an early grave, unless you're smart about it. -  Jim Bridger

Offline mightyox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 06:28:00 AM »
Great videos i hope i get a chance to practice today.

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
Yeah, I have to say watching Arne's videos has been very helpful to me.

I used to swing draw.  I was a good shot for a bunch of years then the dreaded TP / short draw set in.  I was a full on "burn a hole" in the target guy.

I have spent the last year relearning my entire form.
Draw (rotational), anchor and several other elements of form.

I am shooting much better and someday will share all I have done.  It's been frustrating at times but focusing on the long term gain has made it worthwhile.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
The rotational draw can be over the top or horizontal.....the main goal is to achieve proper alignment and back tention

I use horizontal and shoot mostly pre point but have made may shots on game with the swing draw which still incorporates my rotational draw.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
Absolutely Terry!!  What I show in the videos is A WAY to LEARN but once learned, it can be applied in many different ways.  The important part IMO is getting to final alignment and BT.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 12:27:00 AM »
Well since I agree with these comments and spent the evening practicing form Ill send this back to the top.  Rotational draw is helping me and I am going to keep practicing this form.  I still need to improve backtension and anchor but recommend this form.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »
I have been shooting archery in one form or another since 1968 and it wash't until I started back with traditional gear a couple years ago that I actually drew the bow back using my back vice my arms.  I have been amazed at how much I have improved.  I have to really concentrate to get it right since I have arm drawn for so long.  When   my consistently or groups start to waver the draw is the first thing I look to.
T ZZZZ

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
I have to watch my elbow , too low and the back doesn't engage. At the right ht I feel the back engage
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
I have been practicing rotational draw and watched all moebow videos a few times.  The up and over draw seems little more natural to me.    :dunno:  
my issues seem to be if I exaggerate the rotation to much it pulls my bow hand off where I am aiming and makes group wider? So I toned it down but still rotate the shoulder and engage the back muscles.  
Now I notice my string elbow is a little high?  Definately high but not crazy high.  I had my wife pull my elbow down at full draw to parrelel and it did not feel right at all?  Felt like it took from back muscles and made back and arm weaker and it wanted to raise my bow arm also?
 I feel like one step forward then two steps back!   :confused:   :confused:    
I think I will video myself this weekend share for some criticism.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline alex321

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by moebow:
mightyox,

Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMoebow1  

Arne
Thanks for putting that up....  I have just started archery within the last 6 months and have no coach, so must get everything off the internet.  It is the first time I have seen your videos.  Thank you for taking the time to explain and to film your ideas.  I will study them closely when I return off holiday.

Cheers
Alex

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 11:45:00 PM »
Tracker,

This turkey season I was able to draw on two birds while just sitting on a chair with a ghillie suit on.  The only way it worked is if my bow was up, extended and drawn about 2" while I waited for the birds to present a shot.  When I was ready I used an almost perfect rotational draw so the only movement the birds could have possibly seen would have been my elbow rotating around.  They never saw it but I was so shocked that I got away with it that I missed both shots.  Still, I called it a successful hunt.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
This is off the trad hunting theme, but kind of addresses the original question of "can I do this when I'm concentrating on game and not my draw?"

I took a revolver class from a real master. He saw me using my thumb on the ejector rod to drop the empties neatly in the palm of my hand. He asked me what I would do if one stuck in the cylinder. I said I'd smack the ejector rod smartly with the palm of my hand. His comment was "Why don't you do it that way every time then? You will fight the way you train".

I think the rotational draw will fall in the same category. If you draw that way all the time, it will become a conditioned response to the desire to draw instead of a conscious, thought process.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©