Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: sore index finger  (Read 710 times)

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
sore index finger
« on: February 16, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
the last couple of years i've noticed the inside of my index finger gets sore/sensitive when shooting.  Its the skin part of the finger but its adjacent to the side and base of my finger nail.  I shoot split finger and don't think I'm torquing string.  I haven't tried a tied on nock point which will be my next attempt.  I also use a tab and although a glove would most likely improve this I am quite fond of my tab.

Any ideas/suggestions?  torque, release, nock point, i'm an idiot, etc....?

Thanks

shot less than dozen arrows yesteday with 4 yr old daughter, who has a longbow:), and haven't shot all winter and even with less than a dozen shots my index finger was noticeably painful.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sore index finger
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
Vernon,

If you can, have someone look at your arrow when you are at full draw.  They would be looking to see if the arrow has a downward bend in it.  Frequently, we put enough downward pressure on the top side of the arrow nock to actually bend the arrow downward.  That would be where you are feeling the pain on your finger.

Second idea is to try a finger spacer that would hold your index finger up off the arrow nock and relieve that pressure.

Check tension in string forearm and wrist and relax as much as possible!

Check to see that your fingers hook the string as perpendicular as possible and are not pointing downward.

Finally, short bow?  String angle pressing the fingers together.

Just some areas to check

Arne

PS.  Yes, those D@#$#@ brass nocking locators are TERRIBLE!!!
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
Arne,  Thanks so much for the feedback.  You are our rock:)  All my bows are 62" and I've always shot just a plain leather tab with the most recent being the Eichler tab. I love the simplicity and the no spacer but going to try a new tab down the road.  

Going to review past threads/videos on string hook which I've played with a little and see if that helps.

Thanks again--your always there for us!!!

James

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
Arne
I have read people recommend that on a deep hook your fingers should be pointed back and down.
T ZZZZ

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
tracker,

In the NTS they are pointed back and UP not down.  The "UP" part is difficult without a spacer and I find for most of "OUR" style shooting trying to keep the fingers perpendicular to the string works really well.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©