Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: hitting bow arm  (Read 721 times)

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
hitting bow arm
« on: February 17, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
I,m double jointed and have always had to watch out. Bows with low brace hts. really do me in. If I lock my bow arm the string will hit it. so to compensate for this,I bend my arm. I shoot with a fellow that never wears an arm guard. He never hits his arm. My problem is magnified when I stretch out in my draw. any suggestions?  thanks craig
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hitting bow arm
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »
Craig,

Common problem fixed by setting up correctly.  Do not let your elbow "lock" out; you want the arm straight but NOT LOCKED!!!!  You don't really want to bend it either -- try to keep the bones of the forearm and upper arm in a straight line.  It takes minimal muscle effort to do that as compared to allowing a bend that must be held with shear muscle strength.

Also a good grip adds to string clearance.  The center of the bow grip sits on the pad of the hand right below the thumb and never on the pad on the little finger side of the hand.  Bow hand knuckles angle away from the bow axis at about a 45 degree angle.    http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=005763#000000  

With that grip AND rolling your bow arm elbow inward so the point of your elbow points horizontally  and not down should give you all kinds of string clearance.

Arne

PS>  Not sure what you mean by " stretch out my draw" but in general, "don't do that."
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
Arne, thanks for your help. I've watch a couple of your vids on you tube.  When I say "stretching out" I am referring to getting my string elbow back and around.
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »
AH, got it.  That movement is in the string shoulder - string upper arm and NOT in the bow shoulder or arm.

The string shoulder/upper  arm movement is perpendicular to the arrow line and does not (ideally) move the bow shoulder.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
Arne, thanks for your help. I've watch a couple of your vids on you tube.  When I say "stretching out" I am referring to getting my string elbow back and around.
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©