Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Form Practice & Concentration  (Read 759 times)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Form Practice & Concentration
« on: February 20, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
I'm always looking to improve my shooting. Since I aim "Split Vision", it was critical I that I worked hard when I had to shoot LH due to my shoulder surgery.

Now that I bowhunt both ways, I just spent this past month shooting 7 yds in my shop at the large pillow bag. I'm a big advocate of John Schulz's "Upon release both hands do nothing." No pulling the hand away from my face, no torquing the bow.

Putting a 3" wide blaze orange marker in the center of the bag for my "kill zone", I'll shoot 30 arrows RH in the morning, 30 arrows LH in the afternoon. Every shot...make sure my anchor is solid, aim correctly...smooth release with "both hands doing nothing".

I'm still working on improving the Hill swing draw method with my Kempf Longbow. Through hard work, I've eliminated my right eye occasionally taking over when shooting my LH Fedora recurve. Working hard on your form and learning to block out all outside interference(Concentration) will definitely make you a better shot.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Form Practice & Concentration
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
Interesting philosophy on shooting form.  Keeping the bow arm steady before and after the shot I find is very important.  I'm still debating on the sting arm.
T ZZZZ

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
Joe, I had to switch from right to left too. Sounds like your form and my form are the same. Isn't it amazing how much better the form is when everything feels foriegn at the onset and through hard work and concentration it starts to fall into place. I'm a much better shot/archer now being left handed then I was right handed. Been shooting left handed for the last 10 years.

What I have gained the most benefit from in years is watching Moebow's shooting videos. I watch them first with the computer sound off, which tends to make me observe more of what Arnie is teaching and his form. Then rewatch the video with the sound on.

When my shooting starts to take a downward trend it(for me)is because I'm not 100% seated in with my anchor-or-my hand is leaving my face after release with too much movement.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »
The key for me when starting to shoot LH was finding a weight that was comfortable. 52# was the perfect weight for me. I don't have a video camera to show how I shoot but you would see that my drawing hand never leaves my face and bow arm remains in place.

I'm glad this carried over from when I shoot RH. Every shot I take on big game...I see the arrow hit and if they are close enough, I can see hair fly when the broadhead smacks home. It takes time, effort and concentration not to move until the arrow is "in the kill" or "target".

Form is everything...even is awkward hunting situations. I bowhunt from the ground and whether I'm kneeling, bending or leaning...the basics are still there. I shoot deer out to 40 yds...because I practice out to 40. However if my form is correct and both hands do nothing and I know what my bow/arrow setup will do...it gives me positive results on big game.

When I had my Trad shop opened and I taught guys how to shoot, I made them learn split vision here in my shop...then took them outside and applied it to longer distances. Told them it was like using a pin (sights) on their compounds. After awhile...when it sank it after practice sessions they understood. They also commented it was critical they didn't "peek" to see where the arrow hit and NOW understood what "Both hands do nothing " meant.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
Joe
Glad I read this thread.  I was not all that familiar with John Schulz's before this post.  After a little research I think I need to get his video.  Never thought I would want a HH style bow but now I am thinking I need one in the bag.
T ZZZZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©