Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: what the heck  (Read 726 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
what the heck
« on: March 06, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
I am now shooting lefty too, same deal as others, dominant left / right, depends on the day,  'cept I changed over a bit over a year ago.

With Easton BH 340 shafts I shoot left, 3", (32" full length, 175 plus 50 tip weight).  I group pretty tight, although we are talking 7 yards (basement range).  These shafts spine ~ 90# on my wall mount spiner.

When I shoot woods (31", spine at 70# - 75#, they go right by not quite 3", say 2". Only about 140 grain glue on's on the woods.  Definite groups show between woods and carbons.

The bow is a RER XL, 62" recurve.  51# at 28 and I am drawing to 30" (maybe plus 1/2).  My draw incorporates a type of rotational draw to the stop using my shoulders, then I drop my face down to anchor, so my draw and hold seems to stay the same.  I don't believe I am creeping and usually get good clean releases and follow thru.  Of course, that is ME saying that.

Am I misunderstanding ?  Shooting lefty, weak should go left and stiff should show to the right . . right ?

I hear everybody mounting 300 plus on the front and I don't see how.  I want to keep a decent total arrow weight so going a whole lot less than what I have is questionable for me.

Any suggestions ?
ChuckC

Offline D.Ellis

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what the heck
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
Probably diameter difference. I shoot left with woodies compared to carbon.(right handed shooter) Although this isn't really a "form" topic......probably get more replies in the PowWow   :)  
Darcy
60# GN Lil'Creep Jackknife
67# osage selfbow
62# "Zang Hill" string follow

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
I assume you're shooting bare shafts?  Judging weak/stiff with fletched shafts can be tricky. Sometimes you get the opposite results of what you expect.

As far as creeping is concerned, you may not be creeping enough to pluck, but you still may be creeping. The best way to tell is to take a fairly close video of your release/anchor, and then slow it down. If you're creeping at all, it will show up in slow mo.  I was sure I wasn't creeping until I saw it on the video.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
If you use 160 grain points on your woodies, they will be the same (very close) dynamic spine as your carbons... Two inches at 7 yards will be really stiff at 20 yards with your present setup with your woodies. Good luck!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©