3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: List all the longbows you have shot & your favorite  (Read 2434 times)

Offline bmgarto

• Trad Bowhunter
List all the longbows you have shot & your favorite
« on: November 23, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »
Lets do something different. I'm looking to try more longbows. List all the ones you have shot and which ones are your favorite. I think this will give us a better perspective. Here are mine:

Black Widow, Tomahawk Diamond Thunderstorm, Martin Savanah, red oak self bow, bamboo backed hickory and a crow creek take down. I Like the Black widow the best so far.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: List all the longbows you have shot & your favorite
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
Saluki , ReR vortex , centaur , acient spitits , montana , pronghorn , abbott, snow shoe,  mosshorn ,couple osage self bows, bbo, fowley, and i'm sure I have missed some but right now the Saluki is my go to bow :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
Shot many and definitely like the ones I built myself the best. Never got to shoot a Saluki. It looks ike a great shooting bow. I'll have to try one some time  just to see if it shoots like it looks.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
Thunderstick MOAB, Black Widow PL, Black Widow LAG, Bighorn Ramhunter, Stewart, Super Shrew, Griffin, Martin, Bear, Yellowstone, Fox, Caribow, Hummingbird.
I am fondest of the LAG Widow, but I think the PL would be right there if it had the LAG grip. The MOAB, I think is the easiest bow to shoot that I have tried. I just got the Yellowstone Half Breed, 3 pc. takedown and haven't got to spend alot of time with it yet, but so far I am impressed with it. Lots of good ones out there, just kinda depends on what feels/shoots right for you.....finding the right one is what makes it fun!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
Hill , Harrison ,21st century older model, Quillins bamboo longhunter, Matlock x2 and predator X ,G&L takedowns ,Habu ,Robertson Mystical,Horne traditionalist,Massey longhorn,Shrew,JK traditions,Ferguson Safari and wildcat,pse by Earl Hoyt,moab,Martin Vision,Predator phoniex,Montana bowworks,Rainmaker by Casey Allen,Mosshorn,Widow lag,Tomohawk,Richard Vaughnadore longbows,Deathwish,My own homemade junkers,Keith Brunner aka "mudfeather"`s homemade takedowns.Probably a lots more I can`t remember. I liked the MatlockX2 and Widow the best of the one piece and Mudfeathers takedown of the takedowns.I really , really want a widow just can`t talk the wife in to it. I will say the HHC by Harrison was the most accurate for me.RC

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
Widow PL, Brack Non-typical, Morrison Cougar, Morrison Dakota, Marriah Chinook, Horne Brushbow, Tomahawk.  I guess my favorite is the Brackenbury Non-typical because it is so easy to keep a consistent grip.  Plus the bow draws smooth and shoots hard.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
Widow (both LAG and PL), Hill, Morrison (Cougar and Dakota), Dwyer (two models), Fox, Wes Wallace, Liberty (Contender and Chief), Turkey Creek, Shrew, CariBow, Adcock, Pronghorn (one and three piece), Horne Brush and Traditional, Robertson, Massey, MOAB, Martin, Bear, Griffin, a few self bows, Tolke Whip, 7 Lakes, Black Swan, Mahaska, Sentman and probably 8 or 9 that I am forgetting.

This answer will be different for everyone.  But if I had to pick one longbow.....it would be a Liberty Chief.  I love the grip, Allen is great to work with, and the bows have simple beauty.
Mel Riley

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
Horne Combo LB, Pronghorn (1 & 3 piece) Bitterroot (T/D), Selway Li'l shooter, Shrew, Jerry Hill, Navajo (T/D), Great Plains (T/D)

Out of those few, the Horne stands head & shoulders above the rest. Fastest, smoothest, easiest to point. If I could have my dreambow, it would look & feel like the Navajo, weight the same as the Shrew & shoot like the Horne!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
Widow PL, Robertson Mystical, Bears Paw, Martin Savanah, Mahantango, and a few others I can't seem to remember.

I have had the pleasure of shooting more than just a handful of arrows from each of these bows and the Mahantango is hands down the smoothest and hardest hitter of the group.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Bob Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
Robertson mystical, Robertson Puris,Great Northern, Stotler, Benchmark, Morrison Cougar,Adcock ACS CX, Black Widow LAG and Black Widow PL.  The winner , to me, is the Black Widow PL.
Bowhunting is not just a way of life, it is also fun.

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
Anything made by Mark Horne.  My buddy Dan
Bonner makes a good bow too!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline kingrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
Just a few,Tomahawk,Shrew,Hummingbird,Toelke Whip.
I haven't found anything that compares to the Whip--I sold the rest of the longbows.I'm even considering selling my Widow and buying another Whip.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
Fedora xtreme, brack-nontypical, robertson, kohannah, bear, turkey creek and just shot a bunch more a few times.  Each one has certain things I love, but I find myself always picking up the creek.  Have another one on order as we speak.  The brakenbury would be my choice on a takedown.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »
ACS CX....got one of Dan Bonner's bows too and its a shooter.  Had to say that cause I don't wanna make my boy mad.  Those are the only two long bows that I have shot.
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Offline Longbow Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
7 Lakes   Howard Hill   Robertson Styckbows
Black Swan   Brackenberry   Tomahawk   Shrew
Black Widow (recurves and longbows)  Dreamcatcher
Howatt  Hummingbird  The list is another half page but these are my favorites.

My favorite:  The longbow blanks I've finished myself from 7 Lakes.

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
Widow, Harrier, Cougar, Vison, Moosejaw, Turkey Creek, Black Feather, Fox Triple, Wesley, Redman, Big5, Jefferies, Centaur, Shrew, Fedora, ACS, old type Adcock, Mountaineer, best is my Tsunami.

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
Being good friends with someone who's been dealing  in used traditional equipment put me in a position to try many different bows I shoot left or right handed but prefer lefty sense I'm left eye dominant. For me a long strait handled Howard Hill in the 60# Range Just seemed to do it for me. When the first shot has to be on the money! the handle seems to force everything inline and the longer length bow seems to help with finger pinch a good release is most critical to me. Mike
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
Quillian Bamboo Longhunter. Chaparral Kaibab. Saxon American Classic. Lightning longbows. Great Plains. Shrew Samarai. Griffin. Abbot. Dwyer. Ancient Spitits- Mountain Ash and Cahokia. Miller BBO. Martin- Savannah, Bamboo Viper, Stick, Mountaineer, Bushmaster, Vision. Adcock. Bear Montana. Ferguson. Morrison Cougar. Berry Rrothers. Leon Stewart. Turkey Creek. Roy Hall. 21st Century. There's proly a couple I forgot about.
The ones that stand out in my mind are the Chaparrals, Abbots, AS Cahokia, Savannah, Berry Brothers, Miller BBO, Lightning, Leon Stewart, Dwyer.

Least impressed with the Adcock, Martin Stick, Roy Hall Caddo.

I still have the Abbot. Wish I still had the Chaparral and the Dwyer.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
Robertson Vision and Fuson, Hill, Fox, Widows, Snoe shoe, a Byron Monarch and a Monty Monarch, Wallace and Jack Harrison HHC and HSS. The Harrison bows are the fastest longbows I've seen and quite as a mouse. I like a plain straight grip on these bows.
lll

Offline weasle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
The best one I have shot is a thunder horn. they are made in MT. they have a great locator grip and handle. they are reflex/deflex and they shoot very fast and very quiet. Another great one is a Big river Bow made by John mcdonald in WI. He makes a great bow for a good price. hope that helps. Drake

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©