3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: List all the longbows you have shot & your favorite  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: List all the longbows you have shot & your favorite
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
After shooting many types of long bows I settled on The Pronghorn and the shrew...Now I have 2 Pronghorns and 3 Shrews.... Keepers

Offline Ausable

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
I've shot many types but currently have two morrison's(shawnee dakota and cougar), a griffin and a pronghorn. All keepers for me.
McCullough Griffin x 2
Meland Pronghorn
Morrison Shawnee
Migliorato Mohawk

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
I shoot my snowshoe longbow the best!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »
I have only shot a couple. Black Widow, 21st Century, McCullough, Morrison, Treadway, and Horne.

My favorites are the Treadway and Horne.

Bill

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
Standard R/d Longbows:
Deathwish, Robertson Purist,Sentmen, Kentuckian,Wes Wallace. Favorite= Wes Wallace

Hill Type Longbow: Nothern Mist Shelton (string follow)

Hybrid: Elberg Jaguar special,Morrison 56"(pre-Dakota), Thunderhorn Heart Stopper, Thunder Stick M.O.A.B. Favorite = M.O.A.B. (Thunderhorn is a close second but a little too heavey draw wt.)

Overall Preference:
1st - M.O.A.B.
2nd - Wes Wallace Royal
3rd - Northern Mist shelton
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
Hmmmmm,

Is this like going to confession??

Back in the late 70's moving forward till today:

Howard Hill Tembo(still have)
Howard Hill Big Five (86# during the 'big bow era)
Robertson Mystical
Robertson (next grade up back in mid 80,s)
Doug Hill cedar core
Talon
JD Berry
Super Shrew Samurai (going on 8 years and still my go to bow)

I've shot:
Super Shrew Limited, Super Shrew Carbon Classic, Super Shrew Chameleon and regular Super Shrew
Black Widow (LAG)
Jerry Hill
21st Century
Morrison
Great Northern
Northern Mist
American Longbow by Schultz
Thunderstick MOAB
Meigs Duoflex

There are some very good bows in there, but the Shrew Samurai fits me the best for hunting.  If I'm feeling nostalgic, the Hill Tembo and some Acme premium arrows quench my thirst nicely.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
Martins (Stick, Twig, Vision, Savannah, and one or two more I can't remember the name of), Black Widow (old and new style), Tomahawk, Fedora, Navajo, Marriah, Morrison, Adcock, Harrison, Great Plains, Turkey Creek, Crow Creek, Hill (Jerry and Howard), Bear, Samick, PSE, Shrew, Ferguson, Holmes, Matthews, 21st Century, drew a Black Swan but didn't shoot it.......probably at least a dozen more I can't remember at the moment and a few I doubt anyone here has heard of.

Some I liked pretty well, some I wouldn't give $5 for a truck load of them if I had to use them.

My favorite, and the only one I still own and shoot (other than my selfbow) is the Chek-Mate Crusader.

Chad

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
Ok , I have shot just about most of these mentioned... the few bows I go back to are these: Black Widow (just something about them, Longhorn( JIm Blecher now) , Montana bows (whip by Dan toelke , Acadian Woods by Tim Mullins...I shoot from 42 pounds to about 60 #...I wish I had my ole Wilderness Lefty longbow Neil Russell made for me!!!!! 66" I miss her...Mark#78  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
I have limited experience with longbows. I did have a Wes Wallace Royal and a RER Vortex. I liked the Vortex better between the two because of lack of handshock over the Royal. Then I bought a Adcock 3 piece. Still have the Adcock!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
I haven't shot near as many as some folks on here but out of those that I did own - Green Mountain, Stotler, Dwyer, Thunderhorn, Ridgerunner, Tomahawk, Stewart and Morrison Shawnee w/dakota limbs. The Shawnee was by far the best in my opinion.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
Well this is quite a list: Bear Montana, Martin Savannah, J.D.Berry Apollo, Harison/Fisk American Wolf, Arvin Weaver, Toelke Whip, Rivers Edge Vorex, Thunderstick X, Steve Abbott, Karch Tomahawk, Pronghorn Fast Flight, Morrison Cougar, Sam Harper, Sley, Big River, Bob Lee T/D and Stick, 21st Century Nova and Venus, East Lake, Bob Sarrell's, Mathews Heritage, Bear Comemorative Edition and some I have long since forgotten! My favorite was the J.D. Berry. It displayed the finest craftsmanship I have ever seen. It shot like a dream. It was just to heavy for me. If I find one in the 45-50# range I will buy it and never sell it. That's my opinion for what ever it's worth. Now if we get into recurves that's a whole other list. Lol!!  :biglaugh:  

-Leonard-
-Leonard-

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
Literally, almost all of them. After trying various longbows at expos and trad events over a two year period, I settled on the PL by Black Widow. Fantastic bow. I shoot it as well or better than my recurves. A PLEASURE to shoot and carry in the woods.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
Abbotts, Adcock, Kota, Liberty, Toelke are the ones I remember. My favorite was a 64" Abbott yew longbow. Simply gorgeous, light, balanced, with moderate reflex/deflex.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
Over the years I've owned and shot more than I can remember.  Favorites: deflex/reflex is a Robertson Mystical/Purist; Hybrid is a Selway/Centaur Lil Mag; and Hill style is the John Schulz Trophy Hunter closely followed by my old 1988 Dave Johnson (Bethany, OK) with cedar limbs (avatar pic).
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2007, 12:31:00 AM »
Libertys,Griffins,morrison dakota and shawnees,Dwyers,Treadway,centuars,Cane Dragon,Fredericks,black swan classic,northern Mist.Howard Hill,shrews,Great Northern,Matlock,Stotler,Berrys,Hornes and a few more.Too many too remember.I really liked all of em in one way or another.I couldnt really pick just one.Its splitting hairs.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2007, 06:28:00 AM »
I have owned,Hill Wesley Special,Harrison HHC,Harrison Black Wolf,Leon Stewert,JD Berry,Vinson Miner Cane Dragon,Stotler Game Getter,Shrew Special Deluxe,Griffin,Cari-Bow Featherhorn,Cari-Bow Silver Fox,Black Feather,Lotz Huntin' Stick,Morrison Cougar,O.L. Adcock ACS #10,O.L. Adcock pre ACS,A&H ACS CX,O.L. Adcock ACS CX,and a few I probably forgot. Best shooter bar none for me was my old ACS, wish I still had it, a close second was the Lotz Huntin' stick that was made by Mickey's bro Randy and the Cari-Bow Featherhorn. For take downs, the Cari-Bow Silver Fox is hard to beat.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
I took wood shop in high school while others learned typing and the list is long; but shorter than Danny's...........my ACS CX is the smoothest.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
jerry hill apache, rer recurve, osage orange selfbow,  allegheny, skb horse bow,  timber ghost, bob sarrells longbow, would love to try more my go to bow at this time is my bob sarrells.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
Griffin and Fedora Excellerators are high on my list.I have never shot a bow I liked more than my Griffin.

Offline KELLEY40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
Owned and shot many.
My favorite is....GRIFFIN

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©