3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hickory arrows or something heafty...  (Read 475 times)

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
Hickory arrows or something heafty...
« on: November 23, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
Anyone shooting heavy wood arrows? I would like to get more penetration than my Cedars. I have tried hex shafts and could not get them to shoot out of my bow.
Hickory or what?

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hickory arrows or something heafty...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »
Paul hickory is a good choice for being heavy and tough, the problem with hickory is getting them, and keep them straight. If oyu're one of those guys that's super picky about having straight shafts you might consider another shaft material. I've heard lodge pole pine is nice but have no expereince with it personally.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
Try laminated birch, It's heavy can be straightened with a little heat and is tough. I tried some but it was to heavy for my 48# bow it dropped like a rock. Otherwise i really liked it.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
I've never used any laminated shafts but here is a smapling of woods I have used.

Poplar is a little heavier and a little tougher than Cedar and is easy to straighten.  I like this wood for making shafts for everything...target, flu-flu's, and hunting.

Lodge Pole Pine, AKA Chundoo, makes some good shafts.  It's easy to straighten, takes stain well, and is a little heavier than Poplar.

I'll list Birch next.  It is a little heavier than LPP and is a little tougher.  I've made nutters from Birch and bounced them off of all kinds of things.

Hickory & Ash are tough and are about the same in weight being heavier that LPP and Birch.  They are about the same for straightening and grain runout is not as critical with Hickory.  It will take a really good shock before breaking.

If you are looking for heavy, tough shafts get some Ipe (pronounced ee-pay).  Ipe is a Brazilian Walnut and is a very dense, hard wood.  Ipe's specific gravity is heavieer than water, it won't float.  For an idea of weight.......5/16" diameter - 66-70# spine - 36" long shaft will weigh around 800 - 850 grains.

There are others exotics around such as Bulletwood and Purpleheart that are lighter than Ipe but heavier than Hickory.

Dennis

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
Ash is heavy 627grn arrow ( 60-65# 27"BOP selfnock 160grn points 11grn of feathers )

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Aeronut:
If you are looking for heavy, tough shafts get some Ipe (pronounced ee-pay).  Ipe is a Brazilian Walnut and is a very dense, hard wood.  Ipe's specific gravity is heavieer than water, it won't float.  For an idea of weight.......5/16" diameter - 66-70# spine - 36" long shaft will weigh around 800 - 850 grains.
Dennis
I would like to try some of them shafts

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
Ramin  :thumbsup:

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
Right On Hormoan!!  :thumbsup:  Ramin  is where its at!!  :archer:    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
I have had some good experience with Douglas Fir shafts being heavier (and tougher) than Port Orford Cedar.

RonP

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll call Allegany Wood and see what they have.

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
Twig Archery used to sell some called "passthrough hardwoods". Can't remember exactly what they were but I like them.

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
Paul,

I just finished making my second half dozen hickory arrows.  I bought the shafts from Allegheny.  The first half dozen was relatively straight.  I bought two dozen and found six that were straight enough to make arrows right away.  I shot them half the summer and into the fall.  I didn't hunt with them--mainly because I was hunting with my 16 year old son and never bought a license.  The second half dozen were very crooked.  I got a heat gun and really had little trouble straightening them.  They have been straight after I sealed them for a month or so now.  I just fletched them a few nights ago.  I shoot full length shafts (32") and they weigh about 875 grains with a 160 grain head on them.  The first ones I made were tough as nails.  I finally broke one and lost a couple while stump shooting.  The guy at Allegheny was great to work with and even called me back several weeks after I called him to let me know he had some 100# spine shafts for me.  Next year it's my son's turn to call for me and I am going to hunt elk with the hickory arrows.  They should be real wapiti killers.

Mike

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
Shaft diameter has a big effect on penetration, and not all cedars weigh the same either. If you have a good supplier you can ask for heavier shafts and have them tapered-fore and aft. The glossy finish will create 'suck' too. Boat racers wet sand the gloss with 400 grit for a dull slick finish-that should help us too.........but at the end of the day where you stick it, will determine if you get two holes or just one!

Offline jon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
My hunting partner swears by his hickory shafts for a heavy, tough arrow. Took a dozen to Africa 2 years ago and brought back 7 animals. The biggest being a Zebra and a nice Kudu bull. He had pass throughs on everything except the Zebra. He was shooting a RD laminated longbow of his own design that pulled 47# @ his 29" draw. If memory serves me, his arrows weighed something like 850 grains.

Jon

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
I appreciate all the comments, sounds like a heavy arrow gets the penetration. My shots are going to be under 20 yards so they won't drop much.

Paul
I called Twig Archery as they are in the same area code.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
Why don't you give Hickory creek a call? He's a sponsor here
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
Stone Knife,
Brilliant! Thanks for the idea.
Dennis of Hickory Creek fixed me up.
Now I will have a Guinness.

Paul

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©