Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: The pace of my draw?  (Read 839 times)

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
The pace of my draw?
« on: April 09, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
I'm still working on my form and finding what does and doesn't work for me.
I now know that holding for an extended period does me absolutely no good. I'm not a gapper so there really isn't much need for it anyway.
I've also recently found that a slow deliberate drawing motion doesn't work for me either. It seems that once I acquire my target, if I draw with a relatively quick pace, hit my anchor pause and release, this seems to be my best result.
That being said, I'm still working on my release and follow through. I seem to get lazy on the follow through at times.
I also shoot better without my quiver on my back. Only because it makes me walk to my arrows to get another. If they're on my back, I shoot rather quickly. I just shoot and grab the next.
Sorry for the length here guys. I'm still learning what's working for me.

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The pace of my draw?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 10:02:00 AM »
I guess if there is a question in here, do you guys seem to have like a cascade effect happen when you shoot? It seems that if my draw is super slow my entire shot falls apart. I don't miss but it's not perfect.
I have half drawn, stopped and finished my draw and that's ok. I practice that for hunting situations.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
I think everyone establishes a rhythm that works best for them.  I have also found that if my draw slows down, it is usually bad for my shot. Joel Turner says, and I certainly agree with him, that if ANYTHING in your shot sequence feels not right, you should let down and start over.  Easier said than done, for me anyway.  However, that's something I'm working on now.  I've shot in a lot of 3D tournaments, and I don't think I've every noticed any trad shooter letting down.  But we probably should.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
I always try to let down during practice.  I'll be shooting great until I challenge myself to do so. When I shoot I have 2 anchors, first corner of mouth and I continue to pull through my 2nd anchor, 1 bottom thumb joint to tempormandibular joint then I release. I have a brimmed fedora style hat that I wear when I shoot and the string touches that at full draw as a reference as well. My problem arises when I do my best to draw to my 2 (or 3) anchor points and then let down while looking at the target.  I can do it about 1/2 the time, but when I'm practicing and I fail to draw/let down, everything from then on goes downhill.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
I find that I shoot best when I make a steady, smooth draw and release as soon as I feel I'm on target. This is usually only a short pause. When I "survey" too long, I have two horrendous tendencies. Either I break concentration and lose focus or I pluck the string. I definitely agree with the guys who say to let down if it does not feel right, even though I don't always follow my own advice.
Sam

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
I think the speed of your draw should be what comes naturally and feels right. Whenever I experiment with a slower or faster draw than my natural draw I never get good results. I only take one arrow with me when I practice, give it a try, you'll be pleased with the results.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 10:59:00 PM »
I go through a series of the draw, step by step. Position, feet, shoulders, feel of the grip, feel of the string with finger/tab alignment, rotational draw, drawing arm loose, imagine elbow coming around and back with muscle engagement, set anchors, hold, release with back muscle and follow through to the point of the shoulder. Over and over. If I tell myself that I am just going to hold on target then let down, seems like I can hold for ever. If I do release after holding on target for such a long time, I am extremely accurate.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©