Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Tab trouble...  (Read 950 times)

Offline Submarinokotbw

• Trad Bowhunter
Tab trouble...
« on: April 10, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
SO... i keep hearing that tabs are better for shooting than gloves are. I have been shooting with a light damascus glove since i began shooting. I have bought a few tabs to try to attempt to try to make the transition over the years, but I just seem to shoot better with a glove, but i would still like to try again.

It is not that my arrows dont group decently with a tab, though not as good as with the glove, they are just always about 6-7" off target to the left and 3-4"high, but in a decent group at 20yds. Then in the same session i shoot with my glove and ive got dead on tight groups with my glove. Should i just give up attempting to shoot with the tabs and stick with what works? Do the tabs need to be broken in more? Do i need to be more patient? I would like the "benefits of a tab" people keep talking about, but at this point i am getting skeptical.

Thanks in advance
I like a man who grins when he fights--Winston Churchill

Great moral teachers dont introduce new moralities: quacks and cranks do that...--C.S. Lewis

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tab trouble...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
I'm not sure why you want to switch. I've tried both over the years, and gradually gravitated to a tab, but just because I seemed to shoot better with one.  It's not a huge difference.

I think with a tab or a glove, a good fit is important.  It's a little easier for me to get a good fit with a tab, because I can carve away at it.  I like my tabs to fit with no overlap outside my fingers, to the extent that a callus forms on the tip of my middle finger.  One reason for your left hits could be a sloppy fitting tab.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »
Yes, the tab should not extend past the tips of your fingers when they are curled back in the draw position,in fact they should be about 1/4" shy.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »
I personally don't think one is better then the other. I would recommend trying both and sticking with one or the other
Kevin Day

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 11:24:00 PM »
it is whatever is BEST FOR YOU....tabs are very personal in feel and results.  I started with glove then went to a Saunders Fab Tab....then back to glove...then to Super Archery Mitt and then to Bateman Tab.  Been shooting Bates tab for about 14 years now.

If it is working for you...keep using what you got.  If you want to try something different...go for it but give yourself enough time to get used to the different feel and hook on the string.  One afternoon is not enough time...I would shoot with it for two or three weeks if shooting nearly every day for an honest assessment.

Good luck.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 07:26:00 AM »
your spline in the arrows has changed all things being equal you need to add weight to your arrow to make your arrow weaker because your release is cleaner

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
Brock is right. Shoot what works for you. There is no such thing as a single shooting aid that is the best for all archers. Also, there is nothing wrong with those guys who switch back and forth from glove to tab.
Sam

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
Like Brock and Sam are saying.

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
I have been a long time and committed tab shooter for years. I thought why change if it works for me? Years ago used a glove. Did not work for me. Now I'm in a Rick Welch training. Found out that slapping my nose was due to the tab. Shooting way better with a glove. But the right glove is still important.The ones I had tried before probably still would not be good for me. I agree with others. If it was working, why change?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©