3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone used KME on Grizzly's  (Read 299 times)

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone used KME on Grizzly's
« on: November 23, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
Was just wondering if anyone has ever tried the KME sharpener on any of the single bevel Grizzly heads, and if so with what degree of success.  Mark
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone used KME on Grizzly's
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 12:58:00 AM »
I started using both 190 gr elGrande heads and a KME sharpener this year, and couldn't be happier.  I think Ron is looking to put together a "scary sharp system" which will combine a glass plate, some auto type sandpaper, and spray adhesive. IMHO this would be ideal for the Grizzly heads, as you have to start with something much more agressive than a stone.
Molon labe

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »
Hey there Mark,
I see your from Jeff City. I spent more than a couple of years outside of St. Louis and have a lot of family down around Salem and Rolla. Man I miss catfishing on the Osage! Go catch one of those big flatheads for me when you get a chance.

To answer your question, the sharpener itself works excellant on Grizzly broadheads. It is designed to hold the broadhead at a constant angle as you sharpen.(around 28 degrees for the grizzly). The real question is: Is there a stone or file strong enough to stand up to the hardened steel of the mighty griz?

Here's the problem/situation- the Grizzlys are factory ground at over 30 degrees and the steel is so hard that it takes A LOT of work to get them sharp the first time. This is because quite a bit of very hard steel has to be removed on the initial sharpening.

For that first, "out of the pack" sharpening about the only stone that will do it fairly quickly is an extra coarse diamond, and you need a big one. I'm going to get some large XC diamonds stones ordered this week but, my problem with diamond stones is that they cost a fortune and they will wear out. A less expensive way to "grind" them is, as Don mentioned, using wet/dry automotive finishing sandpaper on a piece of plate glass. Start with something very coarse like 120 grit then progress through 220, 400, and then 600. At this point they will be smoothly polished and fairly sharp and can be finshed on any standard India or Arkansas stone or you could just keep going with finer grits of sandpaper. Bill Howland uses the sandpaper through 2000 or 3000 grit for an insanely sharp mirror polished edge.

-Sharps
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
Mark, when you get set up to grind some of those contact me(pm,e-mail, or a phone call) and I'll drive down and watch. I might be able to use a little help too in tuning up a new bow with some arows. Hopefully it'll be here by wed but no later than friday.
I bet we both end up glued to the tube tonight..Mizzou vs Kansas.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
Mudd, You know it.  Heading to the farm and then the in-laws to watch the game.  Thanks everyone so far for the info.  Mark
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »
The newer Grizzlies are cut at a much shallower angle, not near as much to "knock down" as before.  Still not quite as extreme as the good Dr. prefers, but at the limit of the current equipment.

Anyway, a time saver.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©