Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting advice  (Read 878 times)

Offline Jb Phipps

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting advice
« on: April 30, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
New guy here. Picked up an old recurve in December, sold 30 years accumulation of compound gear in January. It's like I found bow hunting all over again.

I've been shooting most days for 4 months and have read a bunch so I have some base knowledge but here's my question.

When I draw, I pretty much know if I'm "on" or not before I even anchor. I'm working hard not to snap shoot when I get that feeling. If I know I'm on target and force myself to come to anchor, hesitate and release, things work pretty well. On the other hand, if I come to anchor and I know I'm off target, usually high, I can't seem to make the adjustment needed to get back on target. Sometimes I notice that my bow arm drops on release in an attempt to lower my shot but I recognize the problem with that.
So, is this a normal struggle?  Do you expect to draw on target each time or do good shooters still have to tweak their aim a bit after reaching full draw?  I hope these aren't ridiculous questions. Thanks in advance.

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting advice
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
Hi JB. Welcome to the Gang. This is the Classifieds forum. You will probably get some answers to your question if you post this on the (shooting form forum).
-Leonard-

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
You're on the right track, Jb. Everything you said is correct for your stage of the game. Don't expect a steady progression; adapt to the changing reality as you progress.  The questions you're asking are the right questions;  just don't expect any pat answers. Look for the answers inside yourself and through your own experience.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Jb Phipps

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by threeundr:
Hi JB. Welcome to the Gang. This is the Classifieds forum. You will probably get some answers to your question if you post this on the (shooting form forum).
Oops!  Not sure how I managed that. Thanks to admin for moving it.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
There is no " this is the perfect answer "
That being said I have had that problem with wanting to snap shoot and what I did to correct it was , get to full draw and count out at least 3 seconds before you release . If after the count it doesn't feel right , let down , take a deep breath and let it out , and start over .
No guarantee it will work for you but it might .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »
Two things that may help--
Focus on a spot--draw, anchor -- and then focus on something else a foot or two to the left or right and shoot that-- this trains your brain that it's ok to move your bow arm after reaching anchor-- for me this is necessary to make fine adjustments as I reach full draw.
Second idea -- reach anchor, get sight picture, and--- let down.  I use this to reinforce that I don't have to take the shot.
Just a couple things that help me-- not that I'm anything but mediocre.  Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©