Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: I stopped gap shooting and I'm having more fun!  (Read 950 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
I stopped gap shooting and I'm having more fun!
« on: May 09, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
Yesterday, I became frustrated with trying to be too precise in my shooting form. I went back to just looking at the spot and shooting. My releases were more relaxed and I had more fun.

Anyone else experience this?

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I stopped gap shooting and I'm having more fun!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
Since my gaps only vary 5" from 15 to 30 yards it's not much of a hassle to use it. I use the gap to get in the ballpark and then concentrate on the spot.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »
Yes as long I am using solid form, the easier I approach the target the better.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »
For whatever reason, it seems when I hold the same form but focus on the target and not focusing on my arrow tip, it's easier for me to get a clean, crisp release.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »
I have heard that after so long your "gaps" become second nature and that you may actually be gap shooting, but not cognitively thinking about it.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 05:33:00 PM »
Sort of what I do. It just may be a sight picture I like which includes the spot I want to hit, the arrow tip and space between. It's very subjective and individual.

I do know by plotting my gaps I have eliminated those pesky high arrows I'd get once in a while.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 01:09:00 PM »
"I stopped gap shooting and I'm having more fun!"

I think alot of people are finding out the same thing.  It's a little like drawing a picture vs. tracing one...the results aren't as perfect but somehow it feels like more of an accomplishment.   :)

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
I have never quite understood the differences between gap, secondary sighting alla Howard Hill, and point of aim.  The old point of aim target style was to have a definite marker, gap was a space picture,(startrek?), and Hill's IMAGINARY secondary aiming point.  I have a feeling that Hill described what one's own hand/eye computer does in the shooting process, with giving some conscious acknowledgement to the arrow.  The other day I was teaching a kid to shoot. He had form but no aim. He was trying to hard and looking at the arrow and not the target, he was trying to cheat.  I taped two match sticks on the bow to match his cant and told him the target is somewhere in between those match sticks, but both match sticks are wrong, so don't look at them.  Then he could hit, I took off the bottom stick and he still could hit, then the top one and he immediately shot high, hit my  garage. So I played the point the pvc pipe game, he points at stuff without looking, I look through the pipe to tell him where to move it. He argued with me at every object. When we went back to shooting he could hit within a few inches of the dandelions that I stuck in the target.
A short cut to developing second nature aiming. If things start going awry, we can always go back to secondary aiming fundamentals.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 06:17:00 AM »
Very interesting, pavan!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©