Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Bow Arm???  (Read 2146 times)

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Arm???
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 05:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jabar:
I agree mgf, as this is a hunting forum, I also like listen to and watch videos of those that actually kill a lot of stuff.  There's a lot of videos on this forum of a lot of hunters that kill stuff and shoot lights out with great form.

Also might want to check the 'Form Clock' thread at the top.  Lots of info there
I enjoy watching/reading a range of archers. I know all the arguments we typically have on the forums regarding the differences in styles but I've learned more from the similarities.

Archers that hit well tend to have certain things in common. In other things, they do what fits their mood and goals.

I think Terry's "Form Clock" is a great illustration.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
Here is a more direct link FWIW.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline dnurk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by moebow:
Here is a more direct link FWIW.

Arne
Great video, sir.  I enjoy your teaching style and very visual over exaggerating the concepts.  Thanks for sharing

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
Thank you McDave for the tip, it works for me

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
"As your release hand does so goes the bow hand." So true Charlie. Holding up my release hand is the key to holding up my bow hand.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »
I have to agree with mgf, and some of the others such as TG.  The answer is in form and using your back instead of other muscles to hold the shot.

Note. .  although we talk of holding still till the arrow hits, in reality, that arrow is gone in a flash and everything you do after that matters not.  It is that split second where we release, the arrow is in motion, and so is our body because the tension that WAS holding it together just left.  

Use your back and lock in.
ChuckC

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
As I draw with my back, I do also push slightly towards the target, probably a half inch or less, My bow arm at pre draw is already extended with a slight flex, so I am not doing a push pull, the push towards the target is a product of the bow shoulder rotating. At anchor my bow arm is solid and on release it stays pointing to the target. The effect of that slight push is it brings my arrow right to where I am looking and aligns my entire form.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
Been following this thread closely; bow arm has been an ongoing subject for me, as I have posted in the past. Lots of helpful suggestions here, as always.

One thing I've stumbled on the last couple of days: by keeping my eye (sight picture) focused on the spot after release, it seems to reduce my habit of dropping my bow arm.
Still working on it.

Offline cab207

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
As you are aiming the bow, you should be aware of the arrow shelf in your sight picture. If you keep it in the same relative position in your peripheral vision as the arrow is flying down range as it was when you were aiming the arrow, it will do a couple of things for you. First, it will force you to hold your aim until the arrow is released, and second, it will keep you from dropping your bow.
This is what helped me

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by wisconsinteacher:
Do you have any tips or training drills for me to work on so I don't drop my bow arm?  If I focus on keeping it up until the arrow hits the target, my groups shrink.  I want to get to a point where I don't have to think about it.

Thanks
I think you answered your own question.  Focus on keeping the bow on target till you see the arrow impact.  Dropping the bow arm is the cause of a lot of bad shots.
T ZZZZ

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
Arne, as always well done, does anything change if you cant the bow? I seem to do better when I cant the bow...

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2015, 02:35:00 PM »
Frank,

Not really (no change that is) BUT!!  Many cant without regard to their head position or string hand.  That CAN lead to getting the bow out of plane which can lead to a bad shot.  What I'm trying to say is that canting the bow must be done WITH the head and upper body position and not as an independent movement of the bow or bow hand alone.

Again, the system I teach, the string at ALL cants must have the same relationship to the eye.  If it changes, then you can get inconsistency.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©