Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Over bowed?  (Read 708 times)

Offline reinmb

• Trad Bowhunter
Over bowed?
« on: June 29, 2015, 11:16:00 PM »
Last year I pulled a muscle in my neck while shooting a new bow. I went thru months of rehab before being able to shoot again. When I pulled the muscle I was trying to change parts of my form because I was hitting my bow arm with the string.  Every since then I have had issues hitting my forearm.  I took some advice from here and put 30# limbs on one of my bows tonight.  I paid attention to bow hand placement,my elbow and release, I also increased my brace height.  I didn't hit my arm once.  I then shot one of my 45# bows and hit my arm but not to hard.  I then got out the bow I almost always shoot which is 54#'s and hit my arm hard every time.  Each time I shot I paid close attention to each of the form issues above.  I'm not a good shot however I'm not terrible. Most of my arrows find their mark dis spite hitting my arm.  Could I be over bowed, causing a bad habit? I have shot this bow for 8 years and other heavier bows before it.  I don't ever remember having this issue.  Thanks for your help.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Over bowed?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 07:11:00 AM »
Could be nearly anything. Bow hand grip, bow arm straight but not locked, bow arm elbow pronated, bow shoulder down and back, etc.

A heavier bow COULD cause you to change from what you are doing from light to heavier draw weight.  Also, if you pulled a muscle in your neck, your shot may need some work.  The neck muscles should be largely out of the picture with a good draw and shot execution.  

We really need to see a few shots on video to help much.  One or two of your shot with the lighter bow and one or two with the heavier (if you dare).  Wear an arm guard!

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©