Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Getting control of the bow  (Read 761 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting control of the bow
« on: August 04, 2015, 12:54:00 AM »
Do you ever feel like you don't have control of the bow? This feeling happens to me often. And unfortunately it's normally when I've got a big game animal in my sights so this year it's something I've been working on.  When I took shooting lessons from Rick Welch he would tell me that once I got to full draw I needed to continue to stare at the spot I want to hit will trying to "keep everything still". I'm starting to really see what he means now. I think we put too much emphasis on aiming. Burning a hole in the spot, or whatever. I've been doing something that is very revealing and is somewhat similar to blind bail shooting. What I'm doing is taking a black target with a white dot on it and shooting at it from about 8 yards when it is just dark enough to barely make out the white dot. The idea is I'm trying to watch where my bow are and my release hand end up after the shot. This can really show you some things. I think many of us really concentrate and aim really hard yet we collapse a split second before the shot. I know I do. You can really see this if you shoot in the way I just described. in this scenario when I get to full draw I can kind of see the white 1 inch dot but I cannot see my arrow in flight and I cannot see where the arrow actually hit. However I can see my bow and my release hand. Been doing it for awhile now and even in the dark I can tell whether or not I hit the white dot just by where my bow arm ends up. If it moves a bunch I know I collapsed and I more than likely missed. But when it stays in the same spot I know I hit it and I normally do. I think collapsing is more than just loss of back tension. It's also if you are readjusting your grip on the string of the bow during the draw. I know many do this without realizing it. This is an example of losing control. it really helps me to grip the bow and the string and then to make an effort to NOT change it during the draw. When I do this the release is smooth and the bow arm moves little or not at all and I wear out the bullseye. Again this is kinda like blind bale shooting but it's more fun. Try it out if you think it might help.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting control of the bow
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
Jon,
Interesting.  I need to try that.  I've struggled with "finger creep" for some time now.  Thanks for the insightful post, always enjoy your posts.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
Jon, your description re the white dot/black background is how I've practiced and shot for many years.  Except...remove the black background and don't look at the bow hand or bow, lol.  

What you are describing in your post (minus looking at the bow and hand) is essentially instinctive shooting.  The concept entails centering only that 'spot' in your field of vision, much as you would when using a wide-ring peepsight on a rifle, and simply allowing the rest of what you see to blur out...just as with a peepsite, until the spot is centered in your field of view.  Everything you see other than the spot essentially becomes a means of establishing both center and distance ...or in other words it's the 'aiming' part of the shot, sort of aiming without aiming.  There is no gap interpretation or concious aiming with any part of your equipment, including your bow or hand.  Your sight picture becomes the 'aiming' part, by centering the spot in the middle of everything you see and allowing repetition and consistent form to do the rest.  Good form, shoot shots and the subconcious remembers.

The method works quite well at closer ranges but as you might suspect it begins to falter as range increases, due to the eye's dependence on depth perception as a means of centering,  It's a feel thing, much as it is when you shoot a basketball or throw a baseball from longer vs. shorter distances.  The farther away you are the harder it is to feel the correct lob.  You might consider it as a furthering of your athletic endeavors such as those you may have enjoyed when playing ball as a youngster, as opposed to a number crunching excercise that you might have endured during math class (today they call that target shooting, lol).

So you really don't need to look at anything except the spot for this approach to work, as long as you shoot at reasonable distances and your form is the same on every shot.  AS for those who say instinctive doesn't work or isn't a viable method (especially for hunting), well to that I say poppycock.  They either haven't taken  the time to learn it properly or don't want to admit their athletic deficiencies, lol.

I will say this, whether using a sight or shooting instinctive, it's really surprising how much difference a slight variation in basic form can make w/ regard to consistent accuracy.  And Rick Welch is right, 'holding' is one way to help fine-tune your centering until the sight picture (the aiming part) builds itself.  For some this might take only an instant after hitting anchor, for others (like me...a geezer with bad eyesight) it may take a few moments longer.

But it does work.  Hope you enjoy the experience.

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 04:53:00 AM »
https://youtu.be/d2rrdrAc_kw?t=8m13ss  

This guy is perfect !!!!!
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©