3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: socks  (Read 1037 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
socks
« on: November 24, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
Every since I started taking blood thinners, My feet freeze.... right now I wear wool socks & wolverine boots w/1000grams, but my feet still froze. It was only 19F this morning.

what do Y'all use to keep your feet warm...

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: socks
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
Disposable toe warmers. Get them at Wally World.  Last approx. 5-6 hrs.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Holy Crap waiting4..those boots were rated to 150 BELOW ZERO ha ha. If it's that cold, I'm not hunting    :biglaugh:

I wear the smartwool socks. Good socks, but due to the rubber boots I choose to wear my feet still get cold when it's below freezing.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
I like to use a thin poly pro. liner sock to keep the moisture away from my feet then i use wool socks over those, but not too thick you need the air space to keep warm, boots that are too tight because of socks that are too thick will not keep your feet warm. I'm not a fan of buying boots that are way to big to remedy this, because if you walk a lot you can get blisters.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
White's pac boots, Schnee's pac boots and now kenetrek pacs this year. They're kinda heavy but they're warm. Buy extra liners so you can trade them out daily.

I've got the same problem with the blood thinners also broke my rt foot pretty bad awhile back. My feet used to always get real cold.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »
I'm with Mickey,-20 is my limit   :biglaugh:  
I share the cold feet syndrome. Think that Smart wool should be a boost.
This morning polypro socks and lightweight wool did fine as I walked in my muck boots. Sitting still got a bit chilly. Had a good frost on, didn't check the temp.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
I have real problems w/cold feet as well. Too much metal hardware in them I reckon. IF I TAKE MY TIME, and walk in extremely slow, my feet don't sweat as much on the walk. When it gets down in the teens, I will wear a light weight sock on the walk in, then change to my Smartwool before climbing into my stand. I have not tried the foot warmers but I am gonna check/try 'em out in December!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
when i lived in Alaska was when i figured out a lot about cold feet. I realized my feet were sweating more than I thought. So I would wear different boots  and socks in the truck on the way to my spots, then put on fresh dry wool socks before the walk.
Then what ever pac boots i was going to wear.
I think the fit should not be too snug either.
if i had quite a walk in I would also change socks, or at least bring a fresh pair in with me, just in case.
Then if all else fails, those footwarmer packets are great.    :thumbsup:

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
Prop them up by the fire LOL  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
I hunt 200yards from the house, I like to be in stand 1:00-1:30 hours before Sunrise. In at 5:30 out by 8:00 am Frozen feet.... I have a ground blind ( brush pile blind ) and some carpet to get my feet off the ground. The Treestand is the bad one..

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
how tight are your boots and how thick are your socks? A little extra wiggle room helps. Pac type boots might be a good thing, the kind with the removable liners. Get em a little big and wear some thick socks.
Other than that you might need the extra heat source.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
I have a problem with my feet getting cold too. One problem is my feet sweat during the trek in. Here is what I have done this year and it seems to be working.

Feet:
Polypropylene socks next to my skin
Electric socks
Boot with thinsulate (not sure of the rating)

Legs:
Heavy weight thermal bottoms
Gortex layer (wind barrier)
Camo layer

Torso:
Silk weight shirt
Mid weight fleece layer
Heavy weight fleece layer with wind sheer (this is great and it’s sold at Cabela’s)

Neck and head:
Fleece neck gator
Fleece hat

Fleece glove on bow hand.
Hand warmers

When I do my walk in I usually only wear the silk weight shirt and pack the rest. This helps keep my body temp down so I don’t sweat too bad. When I arrive at the destination and am ready to settle in, then I will put on the rest of my clothes. To help keep my feet warm I put 2 hand warmers in the front of my pants at the waistline, one on the left and one on the right. The femoral arteries are in this general area and the heat packs will heat-up the blood that’s headed to my feet and at the same time it helps keep my body core warm too.

Hope this helps.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
Don't forget to put on a good warm hat and scarf. Your head and neck is like a chimney. Your body disaptes heat out the top of your head and neck. When your head starts to cool your brain reduces the blood flow to your lower body to protect the brain. Viola cold feet.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
i have the same problem, my feet get cold quick. bought some light weight, liner socks last night at WallMart for $2.96. put those on first, pair of regular grey socks over them then a heavy pair of wool socks. sat for 3 /2 hours of 20 degree weather and my feet were great!! got a little cold but normally would have been very cold by then. was very pleased. will invest in some good quality socks for next year!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
Cabela marino wool. Use wool all year and have a lot less problems. No more heat blisters.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
I breezed through this thread, so if this was already stated I apologize.
I also use two layers of socks. Military issue wool/spandex, then wool. I have boots 1.5 size bigger than normal to allow airflow over the thicker socks.
My trick is using antiperspirant. I get unscented(spray or stick) and apply liberally to my feet before the hunt. Less sweat = less cold feet.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
First of all, I find that boots made with that much insulation make my feet sweat. you might not notice at first, but it makes your socks damp enough that it can get your feet cold when sitting still. A change of sox is a good idea once you get to your spot. If you will be sitting, another good idea are the down booties. They pack easily, and then you don't need the heavy boots. No matter what you do, it is difficult to keep feet warm when sitting in cold temps for any length of time.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©