Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Center shot vs. non center shot  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
Center shot vs. non center shot
« on: September 05, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
My bows are all off center shot.  They just have a small shelf cut into the riser.  My question is what is the best way to compensate for consistent shots using a non center shot bow..?
Some guys say twist the bow in the hand but I do not like that method.  Any ideas or tips from you experienced shooters.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Center shot vs. non center shot
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
Just shoot and don't stress over it.  Line the arrow up to where you want to hit and shoot.  The arrow will curve around the bow and go where it needs too.  You are right, you do not want to try to artificially (force)control the bow.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
If you point the arrow and the arrow matches the bow, like Arne says, it will get there.  I do notice that I tend to develop more of a cant when shooting my self bows and my new bow that is 3/4" wide at the arrow rests with no sight windows. I am rolling the bow over to get the arrow under the eye. One does not need to call it gap shooting, but it does seem to help the aim if the eye and arrow have familiar and repeatable correlation.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 06:59:00 AM »
As has been pointed out, whether a bow is "center shot" or not is more related to riser integrity than any implied advantage relating to eye alignment.  With your unique facial geometry and form a non center shot bow may provide perfect alignment. The non-center shot riser merely often requires a weaker shaft than would the same poundage bow in a center-shot configuration.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline bowberry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
My self bow is 1" wide at the handle with no shelf.

Like Arne said, just shoot and try to do every thing correct.

Learning to tune arrows (spine) has been a challenge for me, but thats my lack of experience , not the bow.

Learn as much as you can about tuning. be carefull, you might get five different answers to the same tuning question!

As far as canting the bow or tilting your head; nock an arrow,  Come to full draw in front of a mirror,aiming at your self ( don't let go Ha Ha) you might be surprised to learn what "lined up over the arrow" feels like or looks like.

Good Luck, God bless,

Scott
Black locust selfwood longbow
52#@28"
Great Plains Longbow 55#@28"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 12:57:00 PM »
Different bows do different things, but as said above, just let the bow do its thing.  It will do it every time but you won't.

Center cut, vs cut to center, vs not cut to center, none are better than the other, just different, and they need different arrows to perform well.  That is your job.
ChuckC

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »
I've owned bows with cut passed center, at center, and shy of center, and one wasn't more "forgiving" or accurate than another. It's not a problem, just different bow designs.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 08:13:00 AM »
It really makes no difference as long as your arrows are spined correctly. A bow with less of a shelf cut will need a weaker spine arrow than one cut closer to center, everything else being equal. That said, a more center-shot bow will shoot a wider range of spines.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the info.  This weaker spine issue makes sense now.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©