Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: What style do I shoot?  (Read 939 times)

Offline Hickrylb

• Trad Bowhunter
What style do I shoot?
« on: December 17, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
I've often wondered but I have no clue what style I shoot,I'm right handed my bow is held in my left hand ,string is pulled with the right ,my top limb is canted way to right almost flat but not quite ,I stare or focus and shoot quick ,I don't anchor onto my face my string is near two inchs below and right of my chin ,and one finger above nock and two below ,now most of the time this is a constant ,unless its my recurve then the can't isn't as extreme.
I like building HICKORY selfbows,#45lb Kodiak hunter,50#lb Bear Byron Ferguson Royal Safari,Indian Archery 35#lb recurve,Petry snake backed selfbow

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What style do I shoot?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »
Hickrylb,

I guess I'd call that an "Ad Hoc" style.  If you feel proficient with that go for it!!

You describe no anchor, fast shot, bow held horizontally or almost so, and (reading between the lines) sounds like a slumped over posture.  Not something I'd teach or recommend.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Hickrylb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
My posture is pretty straight I keep my back and shoulders relatively upright. ,after getting on you tube looking around Howard hill had his release near where my hand is  but my bows more canted ,I've tryed to not shoot so quick BUT if I take my time I have more flyers ,as I stare and pull shoot quick my groups really tighten .
I like building HICKORY selfbows,#45lb Kodiak hunter,50#lb Bear Byron Ferguson Royal Safari,Indian Archery 35#lb recurve,Petry snake backed selfbow

Offline Hickrylb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »
Moe bow,do you suggest a good anchor point for me to try?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
An anchor is the result of your draw style not a target for the draw.  The best way I can answer you is to refer you to the videos on shooting form I've put up on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMoebow1/videos

Start with "release tips" for an anchor, BUT ALL your form connects to everything else.  The system I teach and recommend is the rotational draw as found in the NTS.  There are other ways to shoot, to be sure,  But MOST find that "loose and sloppy" isn't very successful.  See if these videos give you any ideas.

I know it is very attractive to take someone like Hill or any one else that is highly proficient and try to emulate them.  What is often missed is all the parts that go into a shot that isn't seen or perceived when watching the "great ones."

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Hickrylb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 02:07:00 PM »
Thanks I'll try to reform my style and clean it up a bit ,and I will be watching the you tube videos ,today I'm off work so today is practice day ,again thanks.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 10:37:00 AM »
There must be hundreds, maybe thousands of different ways to shoot a bow, if you look all over the world and throughout history.  If a person has a very unorthodox style and is happy with it, there is no reason he can't sit at our cyber-campfire with the rest of us.  I'm not sure, based on your posts, that you are unhappy with the way you shoot the bow and want to change anything, or whether you just wanted to mention to us your own unique way of shooting.

If you want to change something about the way you shoot, it's kind of like opening Pandora's box.  Whoever you ask is probably going to deconstruct whatever you're doing now and build you a new method from the ground up, based on whatever style has worked for them and whomever they might have taught in the past.  Not exactly like joining the Marines, but there are some similarities.

There's no guarantee that anyone's method is going to make you a better shot than you already are, although based on prior successes, it probably will.  Also, there are enough differences among the methods different instructors are going to teach you that some people will benefit more from one, while others will benefit more from another, even though all of them fit more or less in the same western traditional archery tent.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Hickrylb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
With my shooting ,I'd say being that I don't have a definite anchor point would be my only downfall,I reckon I would say it is kin to shooting a slingshot ,as I pull the string back I must be  a ,,,grip and ripper ,,maybe if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©