Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: The Fixed Crawl  (Read 3256 times)

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
The Fixed Crawl
« on: December 24, 2015, 07:03:00 AM »
In the never-ending quest for perfection, I started shooting three under about a year ago. While shooting the other night at my indoor target, decided to try moving my fingers below the arrow about three quarters of an inch in order to bring the arrow more in line with my eyes while at the same time maintaining my usual anchor point. Didn't know at the time that I was using the fixed crawl method of aiming. Love it and my accuracy has improved significantly. I realize it's only seven yards but have a feeling it will transfer to longer distances once I'm able to get outside and fling a few.
Just wondering how many of you shoot the same way. Or do you move back and forth depending on whether you're hunting or target shooting? I understand it's banned for 3D competition.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline wvtradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Fixed Crawl
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 07:17:00 AM »
I think "back in the day" we used to call that "walking the string" I believe they actually counted the servings for different distances.My anchor has never been that consistent for me to try that kind of stuff..
"I strive for mediocrity and sometimes achieve it." a close friend

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 07:56:00 AM »
In other words, I've regressed?   :biglaugh:

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 08:05:00 AM »
Find a spot on the string that works at 15 yards and tie in a nock point.  Use it all the time aim a little low at 10 and high at 20.  You have a fixed craw.  Deadly hunting method that I adopted last year.  I'm not changing anytime soon.  

For me I have my fixed craw at 20 yards but it can be whatever you want based on what you feel the majority of your shots will be.  Plenty info out there on the method if you do a google search.

By the way String walking is when you move your fingers on the string depending on the distance.
T ZZZZ

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »
Most of the trad contingent on the local circuit shoots "fun rounds" anyway. I always tell them at registration that I'm not touching the nock if it matters, and most of the times I'm told they don't care.  I'm sure they probably do it in part to get more revenue from competition fees.  At bigger shoots it would probably still be an issue.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
I understand the increased noise issue when going from split to three under and then fixed crawl. To me, the trade off is worth it if my accuracy increases substantially. Most of my hunting shots are 20 yds. or less. Consequently, I will pay much more attention to the state of my quarry, namely whitetails, and opt for shots where they are basically calm, which is what we should be doing anyway. We all know how a deer can react to a shot when on high alert, be it loosed split, three under or fixed crawl.  Many animals have been missed or wounded either way when in that mode. Bottom line - accuracy trumps noise. Just my opinion.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 09:19:00 AM »
Shot that way for years. I set my point on for 15 yrds. Takes a little more tuning but works great.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 11:04:00 AM »
Got to shoot outdoors this morning, and you're right Fritz. However,  retuning will be some of the fun of the change. A clean release is definitely number one as this method highlights any problems with form. Or so it seems to me.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
All my bows shoot quieter with 4 small silencers instead of 2 larger. I always bareshaft all my bows and shoot four 4" feathers 90x90.
When u get it dialed in its deadly.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »
The fixed crawl is the deadliest method for consistently taking game next to a sight.

Rusty has done it for years and I can't remember the last whitetail he missed.

Set it for your shot and put the arrow tip where you want to hit.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 08:47:00 PM »
Fixed crawl works as described. After a bit I did not have to think about distance, you get a feel for it.  Some style bows are quieter than others. I have a set of dryad acs longbow limbs on a das riser and 2 hush puppies, 20yd crawl and a nice soft thump on release, my recurves tend to be louder.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
I use it. Here is a link to help you.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »
The fixed crawl is very deadly and many archers would improve their shooting by using it.
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »
When shooting a crawl, do you need to keep the bow vertical or is some cant OK?
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
I cant mine.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 01:22:00 AM »
You can cant it or shoot vertical. I do both. Great I love my fixed crawl.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2015, 08:33:00 AM »
I'm wondering why, if it's such a good way to shoot, aren't more using the technique? Only thing I can think of is it's traditional archery heresy. A good friend of mine, whom I will only identify by the handle by which he posts here (a type of bow building material grown in China and the preferred food of the giant panda) has shunned me when I posted this topic. Only kidding but his reaction was instantaneous. His best quote is "It just aint right!" He almost disowned me when I announced I was going three under. I still like him though.   :biglaugh:

Offline Steve D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2015, 01:24:00 PM »
Fritz,check your e-mail.Thanks

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »
David I have killed deer with instinctive, gap, and any other method u can think off. I have also had trouble with consistantcy with all these. When i went to fixed crawl I have none of these problems. What "aint right" is missing and wounding deer. It works very well for me and I really couldn't care less if some think it's not traditional or not. To each his on.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
Answered you Steve.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©