Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: The Fixed Crawl  (Read 3257 times)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Fixed Crawl
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fritz:
David I have killed deer with instinctive, gap, and any other method u can think off. I have also had trouble with consistantcy with all these. When i went to fixed crawl I have none of these problems. What "aint right" is missing and wounding deer. It works very well for me and I really couldn't care less if some think it's not traditional or not. To each his on.
This!!!!!
T ZZZZ

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
The only downside I see, at least for competitive 3D shooters, is that a lot of clubs disallow string walking. This makes no sense to me since it is merely a situation of using your brain to better control your equipment. As for being traditional or not, it has been around for a very long time, making it a vintage technique. "Vintage" can, without too much of a stretch, be translated to "traditional", at least in my opinion. However, for someone who only hunts, it would be a non-issue. I tinkered with it a couple of times, but it just didn't work for me.
Sam

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2015, 09:20:00 PM »
I agree T12. I'll be giving it an honest effort and if it isn't for me then I'll go back to just three under. I too couldn't care less what other consider traditional or not. If it improves one's accuracy, then it should be used. I can see where I'm going to have to get some new arrows, though, as one of the bows I've been experimenting with and the arrows I've been shooting with requires a crawl point way too far down the serving to give me a point on at 20 yd. But isn't learning and trying new things what trad archery is all about? I have a feeling this is going to be fun.
And I agree with you Sam. You're still drawing the bow with fingers and not utilizing a sight or release aid. Why should the way you aim make any difference.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
I resisted trying this for a long time, because I really love my nose anchor, and couldn't figure out how to use it with the fixed crawl.  Then I realized two things that made me decide to try it: first, I could just anchor further up my nose with the feather while using the same anchor for my thumb; second, I could just put a second nock right above my regular upper nock, so I would end up with two double nocks using only three tied on nocks.  I didn't know if either of these things would actually work, but the simplicity was intriguing enough to make me at least try it.  So today I tied on another nock and experimented with a higher nose anchor that I could reliably draw to.

The results exceeded my expectations.  I ended up with a point on of about 22 yards, compared with my normal 45 yard point on.  As soon as I determined this, my accuracy on 15-25 yard shots increased significantly.  I am definitely interested in continuing to experiment with this.  I will use my normal nocking point and anchor for 35-50 yard shots, and the fixed crawl for 15-25 yard shots.  I have to decide what to do about 30 yard shots, which are sort of on the edge either way.

Why don't more people use this?  Aside from the rules in certain tournaments, I suspect the main reason is the added complexity. Now I have to move two things: my nock point and my nose anchor, when I want to use the fixed crawl.  I remember when I first switched to 3 under, and shot over the first deer I shot at after switching.  Afterwards, I realized that in the excitement I must have used a split grip, since that was what I was used to.  In experimenting with this, I found myself many times nocking in my regular spot and having to correct myself, even though I was in my own backyard and under no pressure.  If I find myself doing this when the chips are down, I will probably have to rethink this.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 03:08:00 PM »
I switched to fix crawl about a year ago and it has really helped my hunting accuracy. I do shoot really heavy arrows and I did not notice my bow getting any louder. It also makes those close in  shots much easier for me as I can easily see the arrow in my peripheral vision.

It may not be for everyone but this has helped my accuracy more than any one thing. I went from trying to hit the kill zone, to being able to hit a specific part of the kill zone.

My setup is a 55@28 MOAB, with 680 grain axis trads. I shoot with a slight cant and if you had to pin me down I would say I shoot gap, but at this point my gaps are pretty instinctive if that makes sense.

If you are not happy with your hunting accuracy I would say give it a whirl, just use some tape for a lower nock point and don't worry about retuning or anything, just play with it and see what you think. If you like it you can put in a more permanent nock, and if you don't like it, just take the tape off.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »
Are you guys still shooting with both eyes open or closing one eye when doing this?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 03:58:00 PM »
Hi Jon, I never close one of my eyes when shooting trad bows.  However, I have had some problems adjusting to the fixed crawl.  When I am "on" I have put 4 arrows in the target at 20 yards almost touching each other.  I could never do that with my regular anchor, where the arrow point would be about 2' below the point I want to hit. However, some other times, I might shoot a wider group than I usually shoot with my regular anchor.  I hesitate to mention anything at this point, since I am still experimenting with this and it might be just a matter of becoming more used to it.  However, if anyone else has had a similar experience and solved it, I would be interested in knowing what you did.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 04:54:00 PM »
I have a theory.

When you're "point on" I think it's easy to place too much emphasis on aiming and the rest of the shot suffers.

In truth, it's something I struggle with whether I use a crawl or not. Too little attention to aiming and you miss because you weren't pointing the arrow at the target. Too much and the rest of the shot stinks and the arrow doesn't go where it's pointed. LOL

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 07:10:00 PM »
I think that's a very good point, mgf.  There's a strangeness about being nearly point on at 20 yards, that I'm not used to yet, that may cause me to become too focused on aiming at times.  In fact, there have been times that I have stacked arrows in a very tight group 4" to the left of the spot I want to hit, probably because I'm aiming very well but lost awareness of something in my form or alignment.

Another possibility is that because of being near point on at 20 yards, I may at times lose my focus on the spot I want to hit and instead my focus drifts to the arrow point.  This causes a more general spreading of the arrows, as opposed to just moving the group away from the spot I want to hit.  I have already fought this battle at my regular point on, 45 yards, but I may have to fight it again at 20.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 08:03:00 PM »
At this point the next guy's guess is as good as mine.

You have to do a bunch of things well to sink them in the bull over and over.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2016, 07:57:00 AM »
Hi Dave,

I've been shooting a fixed crawl now for awhile. I have experienced the same variances of accuracy as you have. For me, it's a concentration or fatigue issue. It sounds like that may be your problem too. Not so much fatigue, but concentration. The point you made about your focus drifting from aiming where you want to hit to focusing on the arrow tip is a good example of this. Rod Jenkins says humans can only focus 100% of their attention and concentration for a few seconds (paraphrased) before our focus and thoughts drift to other thoughts/stimuli. I have found that since I now, with the fixed crawl, place the tip of the arrow on the spot at 20 yards, or a six o'clock hold in my case, that I sometimes try to hold the tip too precisely. This slows down my release, causes muscle fatigue and diminishes my concentration. If you're experiencing the same thing as me, one or more of these may be the cause.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »
Hi Dennis,

I think you're right about concentration.  Both my concentration and awareness are still a little off.  When I first started using the fixed crawl, it was hard to make myself put the point where I needed to put it at 20 yards, which is at six o'clock like you do.  My whole body was objecting to putting it there, after so many years of holding much lower for a 20 yard shot.  I seem to have gotten beyond that now.  The thing that keeps me from going back is that when everything comes together, my 20-30 yard accuracy is so much better than it was before.  I don't have the concentration problems you mention when I'm shooting my other point on of 45 yards, so I just have to bring those same good habits to my 25 yard fixed crawl point on.
TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »
I know what you're saying. It took me awhile to "hold-on" at 20 yards. I felt like I was aiming too high. With time and practice, I think this system will work great for me. Good luck and good shooting!

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2016, 10:19:00 AM »
Lol, we can all "come out of the closet" now!  I spent years evolving (without giving a crap what anybody called it) to overcome a 2 feet gap by going to 3U, changing anchors, heavier/longer arrows, etc. only to find out a true "point on" was distracting for me and brought on some nasty TP-like bad habits. I think this was basically that psychological "technoweenie" stuff dealing with the mind's inability to focus on two objects at once, i.e when you shoot a handgun you either focus on the sights and let the spot "float" or focus on the spot and let the sights "float". I backtracked to get a 6 o'clock hold about 6" low @20 yds.  When I went to a crawl I'm back to level with the spot at 25 yds (my original objective), but with my slight cant the arrow is more out in the periphery and I'm holding at 3 o'clock (about 2" right of the spot)...   and I'm happy there!  No stress in either of those.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
I shoot a dedicated string walking method on my competition rig shooting indoor FITA Spot Leagues or IBO competitions. I'm always cutting the intended spot for my arrow with the top tangent point of my arrow.

For my hunting rigs, I'm shooting a 25 yard fixed crawl. I use a strip of white electrical tape at the end of my arrow shaft on my practice arrows and my hunting arrows. All my gaps are referencing the white band rather than the "tip" because variations in points and broadheads can affect impact points. So I try to keep my aiming reference location on my arrows the same for all my hunting and practice arrows.

For shot sequence, I draw with both eyes open with a slight conscious effort on having the white band "close" to the intended hold point. Once at anchor, I settle into my "check" part of the sequence to ensure that my alignment, bow hand placement, etc etc feels like it should. (continuing to pull and have my back engaged throughout this process)

Once I decide to that I am going to shoot the shot, I start to close my left eye and align my tip to its intended hold location while simultaneously commencing the expansion phase. You'd be surprised at how often my tip is at the correct location to start with. But if minor adjustments are needed, I make them as I am expanding and the shot goes off.

If at any time after the check sequence and commencing the expansion phase, I realize that my tip is not going to get on target before the expansion causes the shot to fire, I let down. This is a timing and rhythm thing I am working on right now.

I don't start to "aim" my white band until I've consciously committed to shooting the shot after the check phase. This helps with anxiety at full draw.

If the dashed lines below represent the amount of time spent in a phase it would look something like this:

Draw ----
Anchor and check phase ------------
Commit / expand / close eye / aim / shoot --

I've found that it is a super comfortable and enjoyable shot sequence. The anxiety at anchor has went away, and I'm not committed to shooting the shot until everything passes the sniff test.

I love the fixed crawl for hunting. This is my second year shooting this way after countless years of messing with 3 under gap or instinctive shooting.

My effective range has increased
My misses have drastically decreased
My harvests have increased. (3 deer last year - 4 deer this year)

Love it.

Offline Steve D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 05:45:00 PM »
Matt good  post and explanation. Fixed Crawl should be another shooting method that needs more exposure in the Trad camp.
I think more will be using this style in the future.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
Matt,

Would you mind posting a picture of the white band on your arrows? Great stuff!

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 08:30:00 PM »
Longbow: it's just a wrap of electrical tape at the end of the arrow overlapping the insert. It ensures consistency between tips & broadheads:

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
Longbow, also it has the added bonus of low light shooting. I easily gain 5 to 10 minutes of shooting light with the white band  ;)

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
Matt,

I really like that idea! Thanks for sharing it. I will probable give that a try.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©