Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Made the switch to left hand  (Read 855 times)

Offline Duncsquatch

• Trad Bowhunter
Made the switch to left hand
« on: January 03, 2016, 05:55:00 AM »
I am right handed and left eye dominant.  I have been reading a bit on this forum and most seem to recommend shooting lefty in this situation.   I have been shooting for about a couple years right handed as that is what type of bow I could find.  I finally got a good left handed longbow at a reasonable price.  I have been shooting for just a week and the switch has been much easier than I anticipated.  I have only been out 3 times as a lefty and at first had some release and alignment problems.  Today I made some pretty good progress and was shooting dead on straight.  I still don't have my range dialed in past about 25 yards but that will come swiftly.  Advantages of being able to shoot with both eyes open is quite large.   Before I would look at the target arrow knocked and bow in a neutral position.  Decide how far the target was, then begin the draw, close left eye, aim, and release...

Today I was able to gauge the distance as I drew the bow, come to anchor and then just shoot.  Much quicker obviously.  Now I just have to train my left hand to not fumble the arrow on the journey from quiver to bow.  Thanks for the advice and videos guys, I have learned a lot lurking here.
Brackenbury "Oldtimer" Longbow 62" 64lbs @29
1973 Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 60lbs at 28
Sammick Sage 62" 60lbs @28
Hoyt Pro Medalist 70" 37lbs @28
Darton Trailmaster 75lbs @28

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Made the switch to left hand
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 10:06:00 AM »
Glad to hear it has worked for you. I can't do much of anything left handed, even though I have tried. Fortunately I am right eye dominant and was just trying it. Sometimes I wonder if this changeover is a ruse to justify buying a whole bunch of new bows. Just teasing, and hopefully this will lessen some of the frustration you have previously felt.
Sam

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 10:31:00 AM »
Okay Shawn!
Now that you are shooting with the shelf on the correct side of the bow, life will be much easier.    :)   Smart move to go with your dominant eye if it feels right to you. In the long run, I'll  bet your accuracy and confidence will go up.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Duncsquatch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »
So I have been shooting decent for "newb" left handed.  I can stay on paper at 20 yds except the occasional flyer that goes a foot high...Last tuesday I stepped up to the line and my first two arrows where bull eyes at 20 yards.  Then I started to think about what I was doing and it was down hill from there.  The form is beginning  to get there just the consistency and fine motor skills are not there yet.

Offline Duncsquatch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 02:07:00 AM »
Today I was able to hit Vegas targets about 2 out of three shots, instead of blue face targets.

Offline Shooter#21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 08:53:00 AM »
I too am right handed but left eye dominant and started shooting lefty this past year. It has worked well. Effective range is around 20 yards which is ok with me. The left shoulder, back and arm finally gained strength, but now my right elbow gives me fits. Based on research it seems to be "tennis elbow". After a few shots the pain decreases. It is aggravating because in the field I likely will only get one shot!    :banghead:
Bear Super Kodiak 50 pounds
Samick Sage takedown 45 pounds
150 gr Grizzly single bevel

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©