Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Open or closed stance with right handed left eye dominant  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
Open or closed stance with right handed left eye dominant
« on: March 05, 2016, 12:10:00 PM »
I am right handed. Recently lost most of the vision in dominant right eye. Good news is that my brain is making the adjustment and making left eye dominant.  You archers that are left eye dominant and shoot right handed, I have a question.  I found that if I open my stance more, more directly facing the target with both eyes, that my accuracy is better.  So I am curious about your experiences with opening your stance or not and what you found?

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Open or closed stance with right handed left eye dominant
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »
I'm right handed and left eye dominant.  Afraid I've never paid any attention to stance, I just pick a spot and let fly, I've not found any issues with it.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »
I'm RH dom. and LE dom. too. I shoot a squared off stance and close my left eye. In your situation, you may want to consider making the switch to left hand. Best of luck!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 01:22:00 PM »
I shot RH with left-eye for 28 years. I switched to LH shooting in 1996. A very good move for me. I shoot open stance.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »
I am strong right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot both eyes open and squared to target. Been at this for 50 years. Never a problem for me.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
My basic position, shooting left handed or right handed, is closed...however hunting situations do not always allow for a preferred stance so I practice from a variety of positions...each person needs to find out what works for them

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 02:51:00 PM »
I am very left eye dominant but right handed.  Tried shooting right handed for years with tons of frustration.  Mike Fedora told me I should be shooting left handed and sent me a left handed riser to try (his limbs were not L/R specific).  What a difference!  Made the switch and have been shooting under my dominant eye ever since.  Things look so much better that way.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 04:04:00 PM »
Hey Scott.  Sorry to hear of your vision issue.  Don't have any answers but wish the best in the journey....Tom.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »
I have very little vision in my r eye and am r handed.  I learned as a kid that BB guns shot guns etc would not work for me r handed and when I began shooting l handed I began hitting.  Transition for bow took some work but I shoot lh and could not imagine trying to adapt my " sight picture" using Dom l eye and shooting r handed.  I know some can and do, but my advice is to make the switch to lh.  Best of luck.

Offline Ron Vaughn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 09:39:00 PM »
I am left eye dominate and shoot a gun left handed, but being right handed, I began to shoot a bow right handed when I first took up archery in 1958. In fact, in the beginning, shooting my bow right handed with left eye domination didn't even occur to me that it would be a problem. With a lot of practice over the many years, I really haven't had any issues with the left eye dominate/right handed combination. Because of all the arrows that I have shot, perhaps my brain has made some sort of adjustment that has allowed me to maintain accuracy.

I use both the open and square stances when I practice because I feel in actual hunting situations, you may need both. When using the open stance, I need to make sure I keep my right elbow tucked in and not let it fly out. This insures a good crisp release.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »
What Danny said.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
I suspect my lack of problems is also from about 20 years on right handed competitive shooting of rifles and handguns before I picked up a bow.  When I started in my sport there were no left handed rifles, you just made due.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »
I have a friend who has ambleopia.

Not exactly sure what that is, although she has explained it several times.

I should listen better...

For her it affects her eye dominance.

She squints the weaker eye, I believe, and although she could switch to become a leftie, she manages to shoot very well as a righty.

And she took Rod Jenkins class with us, so I know she does not use an open squared off stance.

Perhaps an optometrist opinion would be good.
Irv Eichorst

Offline Keuka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »
I shoot right hand and left eye dominant and have for over 50 years, too old to change. My stance is somewhat open but not exaggerated or extensive.

The main thing I've noticed is I tend to cant the upper limb a little more to the right than other archers. The further you can't your limb to the right, the further your arrow will hit to the right. Anyway, this brings the arrow in line with my left eye.  I shoot with both eyes open.

Do a search, Howard Hill shot right handed and left eye dominant and he didn't have an accuracy problem.

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 12:48:00 AM »
Thanks ya'll for the tips and advice.  Very helpful. I also found what Keuka stated.  That is, that canting the bow further brings my left eye more in line and opens the sight picture for me.  What a great site for getting pointers from fellow trad folks with years of experience.  Thanks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©