Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Overhead Form video and Bareshaft Results  (Read 927 times)

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
Overhead Form video and Bareshaft Results
« on: March 24, 2016, 09:17:00 PM »
Been struggling with my shooting a bit and trying to ingrain the fundamentals while it's still early in the year. I've only put around 400 arrows through the bow so far this year. I've played around with various anchor positions, split vs. 3 under, etc. What I've arrived at and do in the videos below is the most comfortable, natural, and smooth anchor and release for me. But my shooting is of course not that great. I think it'll come in time, but with feedback from enough people I might also discover something that was missing so far.

For example, all my arrows group to the right. Bare shaft and fletched. It feels like the arrow is under my eye at full draw, or extremely close to it. I have some shots that feel great and hit right where I'm aiming. Other times they feel great and miss. I'm not as worried about the up and down as I am the side-to-side variation because up-and-down is mostly mental repetition.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Overhead Form video and Bareshaft Results
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »
What I can see is in the second video.  The arrow nock is clearly not under your eye.  This gives the arrow a right orientation for you and IF you are lining the  point  up on the target, makes the arrow fly to the right.

Try to get your hand in tighter on your face, or bend at the waist a little to place your eye more directly over the arrow nock.  Use the entire length of the arrow for your alignment on target and see if that helps.

Also, in the second video, you aren't getting that string arm back behind the arrow as well as in the first (overhead) video.  It appears that the bow weight MAY be "working you" more than is desirable -- try to get the bow weight on your bone structure more.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 12:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I've tried getting that arrow closer under my eye. I think it's about as tight to my face as I can get with my current glove and a deep hook. The fingernail of the pointer finger it right up tight underneath my cheek bone. I ordered a Bateman tab to play around with. That should allow the arrow to come into better alignment and "feel" the anchor for better consistency.

I agree that I am a bit overbowed. My next build will be 50 pounds. This one is about 60. I also put together a 40 pound PVC bow, but I haven't found arrows that can match it, so it's really only useful for blank bale shooting.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »
If your index finger nail is under your cheek bone, you MAY be drawing too far back.  Coming that far back forces the hand to the left due to how your face/head is formed. This is a common cause for what you are experiencing!!

You have 2 possible solutions to try.  

1. Don't draw so far back.  I'd suggest that your base knuckle of the index finger under your cheek bone, thumb under the jaw bone and finger tips in the area of the corner of your mouth. You can still keep the wedge(triangle) doing this!

2. Keep your facial references as they are (I don't like this one as well but it will work) and keeping your upper body straight (as it is) bend over a little (like you are bowing) until the arrow nock is under your eye.

Where in MN are you?

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
Thanks, I try solution 1 first. I'm on the north siflde of the Twin Cities. I see your signature says Grand Rapids. I usually make it up there a couple times a year to fish Pokegama.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 07:43:00 AM »
Next time you come up, give me a call if you feel I may be able to help a little.  I live by the golf course and can see Pokegama from my house.

Arne
218 999 7362
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
Thanks Arne. I appreciate the generosity to help out!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©