Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Anchor Point  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Trab

• Trad Bowhunter
Anchor Point
« on: March 30, 2016, 09:54:00 PM »
Anchor Point.......I know that most guys seem to anchor right at the side crease of their mouth. For some reason, when I anchor their I am not very accurate. What makes me more accurate is to draw further back past my mouth by about 2 inches. What i do is let my string hand thumb touch furthest point back of my ear, and then I release. My accuracy seems to improve when I draw back this far. Do any of you guys draw back much further than the side crease of their mouth as I am describing ?  I guess it is fairly unorthodox but I feel like whatever works best is the right thing to do.....Thoughts ?
“The virtue lies In the struggle, not the prize”
Richard Monckton Milnes

Mark Trabakino
[email protected]
Stormville, New York

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anchor Point
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »
If I draw further than the corner of the my mouth I am so overdrawn I can't move the scapula on the bow arm side to properly execute the shot.

Offline Trab

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 10:05:00 PM »
I hear you BW....I think Im just a weird shooter...I have tried the corner mouth anchor many times and can't master it. Thanks for the thought though !
Richard Monckton Milnes

Mark Trabakino
[email protected]
Stormville, New York

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 10:11:00 PM »
google rick welch-
i use his system- immediately improved my accuracy and consistency substantially.
 its a 2 anchor system.
 primary anchor is the knuckle of the thumb- closest to the nail- with thumb bent over, the knuckle fits in to the hollow under your ear lobe, at back of the jaw, second anchor is the tip of the nose against the back end of the cock fletch.
the fletch distance needs to be set up for you- this system ensure proper and consistent back tension.
and this all works best with a three under release- but will work with split.

more to it than i have explained- but thats the basics!

Offline Trab

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
Hey Fujimo from what you're describing the arrow nock would be about a couple inches past the mouth crease is that correct ?
If so thats pretty close to what I'm doing. The only part of that method which I don't do is to put the fletching up to my nose. But it's darn close.
Richard Monckton Milnes

Mark Trabakino
[email protected]
Stormville, New York

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 12:02:00 AM »
yup it will be past the corner of the mouth.
i never believed in this system, until i tried it- and drawing longer-really brought my elbow around- opened my chest up- ensured proper back tension, but back tension can vary- so the second anchor point- ensures consistent back tension- believe it or not- it works!
its the combination of the two points that make the difference.
google him and see what he does- and buy his accuracy factory dvd- weeeelll worth the $- really helps heaps!
cheers mate

Offline Trab

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 05:52:00 AM »
Great to hear that he teaches an anchor further back. I have yet to see anyone else doing it. I will take your advice and get Welch's video Thanks for the input brother    :thumbsup:
Richard Monckton Milnes

Mark Trabakino
[email protected]
Stormville, New York

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 07:45:00 AM »
I anchor very similar to you with my thump knuckle behind my jaw.  I don't feel like I can get into my back until my anchor gets back that far.  I'm not particularly broad shouldered, but to have longish arms and legs.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 07:56:00 AM »
I used to draw to my ear, but I later changed to the corner of the mouth, because it is "more standard". As a kid, I was influenced by the stories of the old English military archers pulling to the ear.
Sam

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 09:47:00 AM »
you'll enjoy the vid Mark. and its very informative, but i really think first prize is attending one of his one on one clinics. only being a permanent resident in canada, its tougher for me to get into the states- but one day i will attend one of his clinics!

good luck mate

i hear you Brad- the longer draw really does seem to open up the chest and get the arm around- you can actually feel the back tension happening.
but heres the kicker, many times i have drawn,got my primary anchor, and it felt right, then seen my schnozz was still an inch away from the feather- bring the arm around more, the nose touches, and it then feels exactly right- just showed me how much draw length can vary- with a proper single anchor- and good back tension, but the second anchor is what makes it so consistent. so even in a hunting situation, the short draw is eliminated for me.
this works incredibly well for me.

but hey, there are a lot better shooters out there than me, that dont use Ricks system- so whatever works!!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
Consistency is more important than where you anchor.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »
x10

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
Trab, are you canting the bow? Or, shooting with a vertical bow?

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 11:35:00 AM »
G.Fred Asbell's book has helped me tremendously, Instinctive Shooting II.
I recently went back and re-read it, very helpful in terms of anchoring, alignment, etc.
It's really helped with my short draw syndrome.
Jeff Kavanaugh's videos on Youtube have helped a lot,too.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 11:57:00 AM »
Trab, nothing wrong with something if it helps your consistency.  A couple other considerations are whether your present technique facilitates eye alignment over the shaft and string alignment with the centerline of the bow's riser/limbs.  Not to say that any of us are perfect in either of these regards..just that they are things to consider.  All of us have a somewhat different facial and physical symmetry and the disadvantages of a particular anchor in one regard may be overcome by canting or some other technique.  Bottom line I think, every archer has to find out what works for them.  And I'm not suggesting you shun advice, merely that one size may fit many, but certainly not all.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 01:47:00 PM »
If your accurate and it works then it's right for you.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 01:56:00 PM »
I guess I do about the same (or at lest try to!). Thumb knuckle to ear lobe, and nose touches fletching. Not necessarily back of feather; just as long as it touches... seems like this DOES help put the arrow under my eye.
Finger to corner of mouth never felt right to me.

Like Olddog says, we all have different facial and structural makeups.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 02:29:00 PM »
If you can consistently hit the same anchor spot and have the same expansion and extension then you will be accurate.  The problem for most with the cheek is it is a smooth flat surface and up and down variation cause issues.  Rick Welch avoids that with the ear and fletch to keep head and arrow alignment.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 03:10:00 PM »
Hey Mark! Glad to see you back with The Gang!

... mike ...  :archer2:
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
Trying to help my daughter with her anchor an alignment and she had same issue...drawing all over her face lol. She settled on middle finger to corner of mouth for now and she has really improved her shooting. I'll start working on a two point anchor with her soon.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©