3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hip Quiver for hunting.  (Read 783 times)

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hip Quiver for hunting.
« on: November 24, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
What do you hip quiver guys use? Looking to lose the bow quiver and use either a shoulder type or maybe a good hip quiver if I can find one I like.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hip Quiver for hunting.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
I used a simple Neet hip quiver for a few years and it worked well.  It was sometimes a pain when going through thick cover though.  For a shoulder slung quiver you might want to look at is the Mini-Cat quiver:    http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=14&s=28&p=0&i=4023X
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline loco_cacahuate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
I've started using a Vista broadhead quiver over the shoulder type this year. So far I really like it, holds 7 arrows. Availble from Cabelas.
Never drop your gun to hug a Grizzly.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
I'm just using some crummy cheap 6-arrow hip quiver I found at Gander Mountain or somewhere but rather than wearing it on a belt around my waist, I wear the belt around my neck.  The quiver hangs down under my right arm (longer belt = lower ride) with the heads forward and the fletch back.  

Going through cover is not that big a deal because I can just grab the whole thing and guide it through.  As a bonus, I hang my therma-seat on it for easy carrying and to keep the plastic on the back of the quiver from bonking into my belt knife and so forth.

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
I use a Kwikee Kwiver with a belt adapter.  Works like a champ.  When I get to my treestand, I take it off my hip, and attach it to my treestand via another Kwikee Kwiver clip.  At home, yet another KK clip is on my workbench for "storage".  I like the system.  
All the best,
Glenn
If at first you don't succeed.... buy newer / better equipment!

Greywolf Custom Longbow  
Chek-Mate Custom Hunter 56 Recurve

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
I still use a cheapie from Wally world that I bought years ago.  It can be a pain going through thick brush, but I still like it better than a bow quiver.  The web belt from my fanny keeps it on my waist.  It works, but i'm always looking for a better mousetrap.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
I use a quiver caddy from Mark Baker and a Kwikee Kwiver.
The caddy slips over my belt and hasn't been a problem with full length Gt shafts in it.
Mark is at Classic Bowhunting in the sponsor's list. Here's an idea of how it looks/rides

TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
A second vote for Mark Baker's Quiver Caddy.  Works great, heavy duty and a great guy to support.
homebru

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »
I use a home made pvc pipe quiver like the simmons. I have two sizes. 3 inch that holds 5 arrows and a 4 inch that wil hold 12 arrows for long overnight trips.  I have an adjustable strap that lets it ride on my hip or snug it up tight across the back.  This has proven to be the best quiver for spot and stalk hunting .
capt eddie

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
Hey Capt. Eddie,

Do you have any pictures?
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »
I use an old Adams hip quiver.  Had it for 20+ years and it still works well.  Very well built.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
I love my Selway so much I have three of them now! Picked up the second two at trade blankets for $25.00 each, could'nt pass em up for that price.
hunt it

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by capt eddie:
I use a home made pvc pipe quiver like the simmons. I have two sizes. 3 inch that holds 5 arrows and a 4 inch that wil hold 12 arrows for long overnight trips.  I have an adjustable strap that lets it ride on my hip or snug it up tight across the back.  This has proven to be the best quiver for spot and stalk hunting .
Maybe I'm not picturing that properly, but isn't that a bit loud and clanky?  How do you keep it from making a bunch of racket?

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 11:50:00 PM »
I use the Shrew Mantis....should last a few lifetimes...I really like it.
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 03:37:00 AM »
My first seven years of tradbow hunting I used backquiver.  They work great by the way once you get used to them.  This year I got a HH side quiver from 3 rivers, I really like the fletch cover to keep feathers dry, and it really snakes through the thick brush easy
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline Charlie Cole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
Capt. Eddie- second that call for the pictures. I'm all for cheap and versatile.

I've got my old 3-rivers Rover backquiver modified (read, "cut up") for hip ride- It's nice- stays out of the way, keeps the fletching behind me and all, but kinda heavy. Sure would like to see your way.

thanks,
-Charlie

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
look at the Raptor side quiver.  I have my file and knife on mine so it is as easy as pick up a bow and the quiver and I'm hunting
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©