Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: how to stay in shooting form with limited time???  (Read 1179 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
how to stay in shooting form with limited time???
« on: May 04, 2016, 07:54:00 AM »
my work schedule and being on" diaper duty " with a 1 1/2 year old and new born make it very hard to stay sharp and keep good shooting form. I shoot a lot on weekends but during the week there is very little time at all. is there anything else I can do to stay "in form" with very limited time?
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Ken Sorg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how to stay in shooting form with limited time???
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 08:11:00 AM »
Bowfit, big rubber bands, push up? Even 5 or 10 arrows at a time works for me. Just make every arrow count. I do lots of stuff between 9pm and midnight cuz I'm busy, busy, busy also. Even 5 yards in the garage is better than nothing!

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 08:11:00 AM »
Shooting is a perishable skill.
The more you shoot the better you get. I mix my shooting a bow with a slingshot , rifles with a .22 / air rifle and use a 12g as much as possible.
Basically shoot whatever you can whenever and wherever  (legally ) you can.
Btw using slingshot with the split vision technique mentioned by Howard Hill made me a better shot, still aim instinctively with a bow though.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 08:13:00 AM »
When you shoot, CONCENTRATE on your form.  It will keep.  Practice with purpose!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline JARHEAD1371

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 08:57:00 AM »
The past couple years I have been in a similar situation. Going to school fulltime, having a newborn (now a 2 yr old), and my wife has deployed with regularity really took its toll on my time to shoot. I have found that shooting during naptime was very convenient, even of it was only a few minutes worth. I also shot in my garage at night. It was close range, but it allowed me to really concentrate on my form. If you do this, either shoot only one arrow at a time or shoot only one arrow at different spots on the target. Replacing nocks and shafts gets old after a little while.
   My youngest turned 2 in Feb and we bought her a little longbow last month. She still needs some help pulling it back, but she absolutely loves shooting in the backyard with us. She had learned that mommy shoots, then daddy shoots, and then she shoots. This has really helped work on her patience. As your kids get older, you will have a lot more time for outdoor activities. Good luck.
Active Duty Marines '96-'04 Medically Retired

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »
Have an old exercise bow strung up and ready. Hang it behind an "always open" door somewhere. Just pull and hold in between things.  You would be surprised what it can do.
ChuckC

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
A couple of things mentioned are worth concentrating on. The rubber band and exercise is good for fitness.  Do a half hour or more each day if possible to stay in shape. When shooting, concentration on form and picking a spot will be paramount. Don't agonize over the fact that you may not shoot as well as you did when you had ample time to practice. If form and fitness are maintained, accuracy will return. Most of us have done daddy duty and many are currently doing granddaddy duty. Yet we still found a way to stay in the game. It will work itself out, you will see.
Sam

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 09:25:00 AM »
You might be surprised how little you actually have to do...I am 64 years old and do not shoot much at all these days...surprisingly when I do I still shoot quite well...it does not go away as quickly as you might think

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 09:31:00 AM »
I have found that "cold drawing" every time I get a chance really helps me stay sharp.  I go through my entire shot sequence, everything but the release of course.  I have found that not only does it help keep my form solid, it keeps me on top of my always present battle against target panic.  Drawing to full draw and doing everything perfectly, then letting down helps me control every aspect of my shot.  

That being said, there is no substitute for shooting.

Hope that helps some,

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
I have a rubber stretch band , the kind that physical therapists use to help rehab patients. If I can't shoot my bow, I practice with the stretch band. It is a very good form tool also, as you can really work on the back tension with it.

Bisch

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
thank you all for the great tips!

Offline riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »
I'm approaching trad archery from a bullseye rifle/pistol shooting background. I've only been shooting (trad) for my third summer.

With that, I feel that any shooting sport is as much mental as it is physical.  There is a lot you can do to "train the brain" when you can train the muscles.

The USMC has a proud tradition of producing exceptional nationally-ranked bullseye pistol shooters -2700 course of fire:  rimfire/ centerfire/ .45.   One of the training components they do, and it is in their training manual, is to do the equivalent of "blank bale shooting."  They stress dry firing with your pistol at a blank sheet of paper on a wall at some close distance ; ie 5 feet?  10 feet?  doesn't matter.  The idea is to learn trigger control, sight alignment, and follow through by watching the front/rear sights -with emphasis on the front sight- as how it looks before, during and after the "shot."  I forget the exact percentage of time practicing like this, but it is well over 50% of the time.  Live fire was much lower than I expected to learn about-but I THINK it was in the 35% level of total time "practicing."  Dry firing at a blank white sheet of paper also allows you to learn the very fine details of the trigger release -roll edge trigger sear or "ninety degree" "breaks like icicle" sear.  The point is to notice the nuances of the pistol.  The overall point is that live shooting is only part of the practice.

I think this can be applied to archery.  Of course you can't dry fire a bow, but you can certainly go through a mental shot form sequence.  You can "blank bale" shoot with just pulling your fingers -like a deep hook- across your chest to simulate drawing, holding, developing back tension, and then releasing to have your draw arm recoil back like a spring. Builds strength.

I don't see why bow shooters just don't hold their bow in their bow arm and look down their bow arm with an unstrung bow, but with an arrow on the rest and you holding the nock back at your anchor point. You develop your bow arm muscles this way, and also gain familiarity of the nuance of the bow's grip. You also can have a dot on the wall 5 feet away and hold on it in this manner to minimize "wobble" and make bow arm more stable / stronger.  A right handed pistol shooter holds the bow in the left hand.  If you are a right hander, have you ever tried to shoot a pistol with your left hand?  Pretty ugly for most of us.  We need to make our left hand/ arm "accurate."  We need to train it and work it.  Don't need to shoot to do that.

Then, there is a "standard" pistol shot / grip analysis chart on line you can google.  It analyzes why a bullet hit a target at at certain place.  heel pushing up? fingers pulling to one side? Thumb involvement? Limp wrist etc.    The forces of a bow string releasing is substantial.  I wonder why more isn't discussed about bow grip and accuracy in archery.   Ok, there is "bow jumping forward", and angling your knuckles out 45 degrees -etc.  But, there is still a time element of bow /hand contact that can affect arrow flight as variable/non-consistent forces are applied to the bow during release -and until the arrow clears the riser.  Just something to thing about.  Hold the bow our at arm's length, not drawing string, can have benefits-and can be done just about anywhere.  Heck , I'd even wager that getting an accurate, inexpensive .177" pellet pistol and shooting it with your left hand in your basement -into a trap- would be a benefit to improving archer accuracy for right handed shooters.  That can be done year 'round, and in the basement.  Even dry firing an unloaded pistol with your left hand  at a blank sheet of paper on the wall will develop bow arm muscles -large and fine control.

Then, shoot arrows as ofen as you can-whether it be daily, weekly or monthly.  You can only shoot when you can shoot, but you can do the other "dry"/ non-shooting drills just about anywhere/anytime.

Elastic bands/surgical tubing can provide draw arm muscle toning/ back tension.

Very few can shoot as often as then want to, but maybe shooting all the time doesn't help, if you don't have other components maximized in the shot sequence.

You can also "train the brain" simply be estimating distances to things you see daily.  Is that filing cabinet 17 yards away?  21?

Anything you can do with repetition will help you.

Again, this is from an archery noob, but a decent rifle/pistol bullseye shooter.

Good luck.  Not trying to be an "expert", just offering a different take on training.  It's not just shooting arrows or bullets.
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 09:15:00 PM »
The idea is to learn trigger control, sight alignment, and follow through by watching the front/rear sights -with emphasis on the front sight- as how it looks before, during and after the "shot."
I think this is a good point.  We think of follow-through as holding our bow arm up until the shot is completed.  Really, it is more than that.  One time, a friend of mine commented that I had "stayed with the shot all the way," on a particular shot.  I wondered what he meant by that, and finally concluded that it meant keeping my head and eyes engaged until the arrow hits the target.  While focusing on the target, I should continue aiming the shot after the arrow leaves the bow.  I should also maintain my back tension after the shot is released, rather than just relaxing everything the same moment the shot is released.  The reason we continue to hold the bow up is because if we don't, we will soon start dropping it before the arrow is released.  I think the same is true with aiming and back tension.  When I say aiming, I mean instinctive aiming as well as reference aiming.  Really, after the shot is released, both aiming methods become the same: maintain your focus on the target and your head position until the arrow hits.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 10:45:00 AM »
again thanks for all the tips, using MANY of them and trying to shoot at least 1 hour a night. form is really coming together and very happy with everything right now.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 12:23:00 AM »
Don't forget imagery and visualization as practice tools when actual practice time is limited. Top athletes in all sports use it to keep their edge.

In Instinctive Archery Insights Jay Kidwell dedicates a whole chapter to it. In his summary he states research has shown you can dramatically increase your accuracy by using imagery and visualization. "True" imaging occurs when you close your eyes and visualize the target, the shot process, and the arrow's trajectory.

And in addition to being able to "practice" anytime you have a quiet moment another good thing is each visualized shot should be perfect and you know what they say about perfect practice......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©