Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: form critique  (Read 865 times)

Offline peanut39350

• Trad Bowhunter
form critique
« on: May 22, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
I have been shooting for a couple years and my consistency is just now where I would like it to be I have been mainly a instinctive type shooter but recently swapped to the fixed crawl to try and improve my accuracy and it just isn't happening, so the only thing I know that it could be is my form isn't correct, take a look at the video and give me some feedback, thanks in advance

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: form critique
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
peanut,

Your shot is ALL arm.  See your string hand jump out and down, every shot?  That tells me that you don't have any back tension and all the drawing effort is in your string arm.  Do you have a video of your shot as you've been doing it for the last couple years for comparison?

String walking or a fixed crawl is ONLY an aiming accommodation, it doesn't fix a form flaw.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline peanut39350

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »
How do i need to fix it im not sure if i know how to use back tension ive read all the articles and thought i was using back tension any recomendations on what to do different, and no thats the only video i have ever taken but my string hand has always went out and down so im sure i was using all arm before i swapped shooting styles

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 07:36:00 AM »
If you are happy with your consistency, you MAY NOT want to change too much.  Your shooting will deteriorate as you change things at least for a while.

If you pursue more back tension, you need to totally relax the string arm with the exception of the "hook."  Then you draw the bow with ONLY the upper arm and shoulder. Your biceps has to stay soft and relaxed.

Try to get the feel that you have when you have a couple of items in your hands/arms and you need to close the car door.  You use your elbow and sharply move it back against the car door using your upper arm and shoulder.

That is what you are looking for. See if that helps any.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline peanut39350

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 08:32:00 AM »
I will give it a try my consistency is not there so i need to change something sometimes i shoot good other times i can barely keep it on the target, thanks

Offline peanut39350

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
Been working on my form the last few days and I believe i have my back tension now the only problem I'm seeing is my string is catching my shirt on my chest now any ideas what i need to do to fix this thanks

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 08:45:00 AM »
This one really needs "eyes on" to tell much.  It MAY be that you are one that simply needs a chest protector to keep loose or floppy shirts back out of the way.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©